External 2.0 USB CD/DVD reader/burner VS 3.0 USB?

jaymes2015

Honorable
Nov 29, 2015
Should I buy a 2.0 usb or 3.0 usb? I just need a portable external cd/dvd reader/burner. I don't know what the difference it will make. I'm having a feeling like maybe the 3.0 will burn faster and read the disc faster. Any suggestions?

Solution
Be aware that a USB 3.0 burner will perform like a USB 2.0 one if it's plugged in to a USB 2.0 port . It'll need to be plugged in to a USB 3.0 port to get full performance potential from it (an important point, especially where disc-burning is concerned).

And, no, you won't need to buy two burners -- it's perfectly possible to boot from/install OS from either a USB 2.0 or a USB 3.0 CD/DVD drive - - either will do it.

In any case, you can install Windows from a USB pen drive these days (Windows 7 or later), so you don't need to use an optical drive at all for that task any more.

May I ask why you need an external one? Is it for the convenience of being able to use it on different computers?

t53186

Distinguished
The maximum data transfer for USB 2.0 is 60MB/s , USB 3.0 is 625MB/s. These are the max theoretical speeds, so USB 3.0 is faster. Only drawback is if you wanted to boot and install an operating system, then USB 2.0 for comparability is the way to go

bloodroses

Distinguished
USB 2.0 will work fine for burning and reading; I have a 2.0 and my friend has a 3.0. Due to CD/DVD speeds, you will not notice a difference between 2.0 and 3.0. This includes burning.

With that said, if the USB 3.0 device is around the same price as the 2.0, go for the 3.0 since they are compatible back and forth.

Be aware that a USB 3.0 burner will perform like a USB 2.0 one if it's plugged in to a USB 2.0 port . It'll need to be plugged in to a USB 3.0 port to get full performance potential from it (an important point, especially where disc-burning is concerned).

And, no, you won't need to buy two burners -- it's perfectly possible to boot from/install OS from either a USB 2.0 or a USB 3.0 CD/DVD drive - - either will do it.

In any case, you can install Windows from a USB pen drive these days (Windows 7 or later), so you don't need to use an optical drive at all for that task any more.

May I ask why you need an external one? Is it for the convenience of being able to use it on different computers?

Solution

bloodroses

Distinguished

DVD at 1x 1.32mb/sec, this includes burning speeds
CD at 1x 0.15mb/sec, this includes burning speeds

USB 2.0 = 60mb/sec
So, before the USB 2.0 interface gets saturated, a DVD would have to be going over 45x. Fastest burners go at 16x.

Unless you're dealing with Blu-Ray, USB 2.0 is plenty fast enough to handle CD/DVD.