External 2.5 hard drive enclosure time of life

principiantehardware

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2013
Hello, I have an external HDD. Specs:

• * HDD: Fujitsu MJA2320BH G2 320GB
    * Enclosure: external 2.5 hard drive enclosure 3GO brand

Well, the general status of HDD is RISK (according to CrystalDiskInfo). Then I am thinking in change it and I have a question:

- Is the enclosure necessary to change? (I do not know if the enclosure have time of life)

NOTE: I bought the hdd and enclosure 6 years ago approximately.

Solution

Yes unless it gets dropped and broken or other abuse the enclosure should last quite a long time. The first thing to break is usually the power and data connectors which can be easily fixed with a soldering iron or gun. Also the data cables and power adapter tend to break. I have drives that just run naked on my desk from a powered ESATA to SATA cable and have been running for 5 years with no issues. It seems to me that drives that are not moved around tend to last longer, drives in a laptop that is moved around when running tend to die faster than the same drives that...
The hard drive has SMART and that is what is telling CrystalDiskInfo that it is at risk. The enclosure should be fine so you could just put a new hard drive in it if you want. I would replace the drive ASAP before it dies and you loose your data on it.

Yes unless it gets dropped and broken or other abuse the enclosure should last quite a long time. The first thing to break is usually the power and data connectors which can be easily fixed with a soldering iron or gun. Also the data cables and power adapter tend to break. I have drives that just run naked on my desk from a powered ESATA to SATA cable and have been running for 5 years with no issues. It seems to me that drives that are not moved around tend to last longer, drives in a laptop that is moved around when running tend to die faster than the same drives that are not. I still do not trust SSD's for long term storage without power, still trust a tape drive the most but I usually just use DVD's or BR's for data that I want to put in long term storage. Good luck man.

Solution