Question External 2.5" hdd not working on PC

Feb 19, 2021
Hi everyone
I'm trying to connect my old 2.5" hdd to my computer with a sata usb adapter, but it won't work.
When I use the exact same cable,adapter and hdd on a laptop, everything works perfectly. One of my laptops is a 14 year old lenovo thinkpad and the other one is a very cheap crappy celeron laptop, but both of them can see, write to and read from the hdd. When I connect it to my PC ( 650W gold psu 1070ti r5 1600), the hdd spins up for a bit and then stops. Sometimes it shows a drive in drive settings with "no media inserted"
I am at a loss
I can't imagine why a random pair of laptops would work but a decently powerful pc doesn't
Thanks in advance for your help

Hi everyone
I'm trying to connect my old 2.5" hdd to my computer with a sata usb adapter, but it won't work.
When I use the exact same cable,adapter and hdd on a laptop, everything works perfectly. One of my laptops is a 14 year old lenovo thinkpad and the other one is a very cheap crappy celeron laptop, but both of them can see, write to and read from the hdd. When I connect it to my PC ( 650W gold psu 1070ti r5 1600), the hdd spins up for a bit and then stops. Sometimes it shows a drive in drive settings with "no media inserted"
I am at a loss
I can't imagine why a random pair of laptops would work but a decently powerful pc doesn't
Thanks in advance for your help
Try all usb ports.