External 3.0 USB hard drives VS internal SATA drives which is better.

BlazGr

Prominent
Jul 9, 2017
I'm building a new (my first one actually) computer rig. At the start of choosing the components I was planning to have a 275 GB SSD boot drive and 1 TB mass storage internal hard drive. Now someone suggested me some other ideas:
-to ditch the hard drive and buy a better processor (I was planning to have an i5-7600 processor which is about 290 $ and the 60$ hard drive so if I ditch the hard drive a could get an i7-7700 processor).
-to ditch the hard drive and buy a better SSD(if the SSD is 100$and the HDD is 60$ buy an SSD that is 160$ (has 60$ more storage if that makes sense).
-to buy an external 1TB hard drive (first off to carry it around and second because he heard that if virus strikes it won't damage my files on the external one as it would do it on the enternal one.
Just so you know I'm planning to use the computer for school, internet browsing watching films and some liter games like banished so nothing too complex.
So which of the options is the best and if you have any better idea (s) please tell me. Thanks.

Solution

BlazGr

Prominent
Jul 9, 2017

Well this is my build here:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8CxjxY

VIVO-US

Honorable
Feb 1, 2017

If you're only doing internet browsing, school work, and light to moderate gaming, even an i5 will exceed your needs. There's no need to spend extra on an i7, and you can upgrade any time if you ever feel the need. You could probably even scale back to an i5-7400 (currently on sale for $190 at Newegg) and still have more than enough CPU power and speed for your build. The extra money can be used for more storage or a better graphics card.

The internal SSD drive will give you very fast boot, load, and installation times as your main internal drive. The secondary 1TB drive will be seen and used the same by your PC whether it's internal or external, so you can simply go with the type that will meet your needs. Get an external if you need to carry your data with you, or get an internal if you aren't planning to move it around.

AkselVerg

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017

According to his components and especially the video card, I do not think that these pc is building for study. Accordingly to this, it is better to take more powerfull processor. What is the point to buy details that you will soon want to change again? It is better to take a good part at once for a long time.

BlazGr

Prominent
Jul 9, 2017

Well first I live in Slovenia (Maybe you heard of Melania Trump is from here) and we have a bit different prices around here. Actually I dont exactly know yet which graphics card I ll use .And I Im not going to play games like dark souls and I ll have just one monitor so 8 Gb will be alright. And I didnt actally thought to use the i7 but if everybody would suggest it i would use it.

VIVO-US

Honorable
Feb 1, 2017

Ah, I missed seeing the parts list! The recommendation on the CPU was based on my own experience, and the game he mentioned specifically was "Banished", which is light enough to run on a 10 year old Windows XP computer. Graphics intense games will benefit from an i7 at 1080p, but for lighter usage and less intense games, an i5 combined with the RX 560 in his list would be a good and long lasting balance.

Solution