External 4 TB won't extend stuck at 2 TB in disk management after format

Sep 29, 2018
I formated an external drive. It lost all the data but the drive worked. Tried data recovery to no avail. I went ahead and formated the external and it added a MBR. Then I was left with two sections, a formated and an unallocated. Pretty much half and half. I tried to extend the first partition and it says drives over 2TB. I deleted that MBR, but it seems nothing I try will get this external back to a 4TB. I don't want it to boot windows or anything. It's just for storing music, photos, files...etc. what do I do to get it back to a plain 4TB NTFS external drive?

Solution

Directly in Disk Management.

Right click on the square at the left of that drive. It should give you the option to convert to GPT.

USAFRet

Titan

Directly in Disk Management.

Right click on the square at the left of that drive. It should give you the option to convert to GPT.

Solution
Sep 29, 2018
Okay, if I am in disk management in windows I show disk 2 online 3725.99, it has two unallocated sections 2048.00 unallocated and 1677.99 unallocated. Both in black. If I right click on the second of the two it just gives properties and help. In properties I can see it's partitioned as MBR. I can't do any action yet. The first section gives me the same options but also, new simple volume. If I click next I get to select size which will not go larger, click next I get drive letter / mount in following NTFS folder / Do not assign drive path. I chose assign and chose drive D. Hit next, I get do not format and format. I can format NTFS or exfat, i chose NTFS and allocation size default, hit finish.it won't let me extend to or format the other partition. If I go to format again it gives me another option of REFS but never does it in any menu I can find let me remove MBR or change it in either partition.