[SOLVED] External 8 TB HDD (Seagate/SRD00F2) not being detected by Windows 7 Home Premium

Hellion1982

Reputable
Apr 25, 2017
Hello,
My 8 TB external HDD has stopped working. I can hear a recurring clicking sound from the HDD, and also feel the drive vibrating in sync with the clicking, like something physical inside is causing it. I haven't dropped it, so I'm not sure what could have caused it.
A few other things I have noticed:
01. Replacing the Micro USB Cable or power cable did not work.
02. Windows makes a 'USB device detected' sound, and also shows that the device is connected, but doesn't read the Drive letter. Also, when I try to disconnect the USB device, Windows hangs.
03. I'm unable to view the HDD normally.
04. I'm unable to view the HDD in Disk manager.
05. I also tried this on my Windows 7 laptop and another Windows 10 PC, but the HDD didn't work there either.
06. When I open Diskpart & type 'List Disk', I get a list of all my drives in the PC including this one. But I see that it shows 'No Media', and a size of 0TB. See screenshot here: View: https://imgur.com/a/nkBlF9b

I'm yet to run the Seagate SeaTools Bootable tool; I have to wait for the thumb drives to arrive before I can go there. Would someone please advice me what else I can try in the meantime?

Thanks.

Solution
I'd decide now if the data is worth $300 to you before proceeding to opening the enclosure...(many recovery places may decline to tackle jobs where other folks have already begun with 'other methods', which might be triggered if the drive is even removed from it's enclosure, as no party once to be blamed for data loss)

If it is not worth $300, and your only alternative is accepting data loss (which sure looks likely , given the 0 TB showing on 'List Disk' as shown above) I'd then go with trying to get it out of it's enclosure and seeing if it will function as a normal SATA drive as recommended above.

Hellion1982

Reputable
Apr 25, 2017
You can try removing the drive from external enclosure and connecting internally with sata data/power cables.
That would help, if external enclosure electronics has failed.

Thank you, but should I treat that as a last resort? I mean, if there is some other option to try before that, I was hoping to be able to try that.

I'd decide now if the data is worth $300 to you before proceeding to opening the enclosure...(many recovery places may decline to tackle jobs where other folks have already begun with 'other methods', which might be triggered if the drive is even removed from it's enclosure, as no party once to be blamed for data loss)

If it is not worth $300, and your only alternative is accepting data loss (which sure looks likely , given the 0 TB showing on 'List Disk' as shown above) I'd then go with trying to get it out of it's enclosure and seeing if it will function as a normal SATA drive as recommended above.

Solution

Hellion1982

Reputable
Apr 25, 2017
Understood.It increasingly looks like that might be my only option.
Before I do that, though: Does the Seagate SeaTools Bootable tool offer any hope? I don't know what it actually does, so I'm hoping someone here can help who is already familiar with the tool.