[SOLVED] External Disk reporting different SMART values

alanvatrox

Honorable
Aug 27, 2017
Hello. I have a 2TB Seagate Expansion+, bought 3-4 years ago, and recently I noticed through Acronis Drive Monitor that it had a bunch of bad sectors, 80 to be precise and 40 for both Pending Sector and Uncorrectable Sectors. Another day passes and the bad sector count jumps to 192 and the others to 56.

However:
Checking with Windows check disk, it reports everything to be normal
SpeedFan's built in SMART reader thinks it's a 1TB WD disk for some reason (I have 4 WD disks & this one Seagate, SpeedFan reports 5 WD disks)
Another program says it can't read the SMART value for this disk
I did a surface test and it reported only 4 bad sectors.

The last one was the most accurate since it doesn't rely on the SMART feature and because the disk had a disk backup with a lot of files and 4 of them refused to be copied due to a hardware error/invalid MS-DOS function, I assume the bad sectors. I now formatted the disk and Acronis reports just 88 bad sectors, no Pending nor Uncorrectable count and 1 End-to-End error which froze my computer during a copy or cut file operation to another disk.

I'm really confused here because the disk has always been at the same place on the top of my PC and everything was fine 2-3 months ago, I don't use it intensely and SMART always worked fine. The only thing that comes to mind now is when I was checking the cables in the back and the disk kind of freaked out in the sense that, I touched the cable and it made poor contact with the port, until I unplugged it and plugged it back again, but I'm unsure that caused bad sectors.
Does anyone have an idea of what the disk has, if it's dying or if it has an internal issue? Is there anything I can do that attempts the repair of said sectors?

alanvatrox

Honorable
Aug 27, 2017
Thanks for your answer! I'll set this drive aside and let it rest or just use it for temporary stuff like page files.

I've never had a young disk run as bad as this... :sweatsmile: