Question External display: cannot change settings

olivierhacking

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
I am running a 4K external display connected to my laptop with HDMI. It is running at 4K 60Hz according to the Intel Control Panel, but I would like to change the scaling settings.

However, I cannot change ANY display settings for some reason (see screenshot). I am only using this display when it is connected to my laptop.

When I unplug it, my 4K laptop screen (Dell XPS 15 OLED) reverts to its default 225% scale. But the external display is running at 100% scale which is too small.

If I display both displays at the same time, the external of course mimics the internal display with 225% scaling. But that is too much scaling. Any ideas?

ex_bubblehead

Champion
In the picture provided you have display 1 selected (blue). I'm assuming that your 4k display is actually display 2 based on "Show only on 2". Since display 1 is disabled it's no wonder that all settings are disabled there. Select display 2 and the settings for that display will be available.

Reactions: olivierhacking

olivierhacking

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
In the picture provided you have display 1 selected (blue). I'm assuming that your 4k display is actually display 2 based on "Show only on 2". Since display 1 is disabled it's no wonder that all settings are disabled there. Select display 2 and the settings for that display will be available.
Oh my... I cannot believe I looked over something so simple. Thank you very much! Now I can read everything on my screen again without squinting :)

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS