[SOLVED] External Drive for Recording

Bloodshot_pico

Honorable
Nov 11, 2015
pictostudio.co.uk
So I've got a lot of storage space and well it's mainly for games and projects etc. However, I've had a Seagate 8TB Backup drive I've always recorded my games too but I believe it is getting a tad bit old now and I'm wanting to get something a little better. At least so that I'm not being bottle necked too much?

My plan is to basically take the old 8TB I have now and sift through everything on there that I do and don't need, then to get 2 new externals, one to allow me to record onto and then edit. And the second one to host some less played games but also as a backup for my edited videos. I'm just wondering what would I be looking at for both of these drives? For the one to record I'm looking for something around 1TB+ and for the backup. Well anything around 8TB or maybe 12TB.

TLDR;
Need 2 external drives. One for recording to and editing(1TB+), the second being a backup of the edited videos(8TB+). What do I get? (Motherboard is a Z390 Godlike in case you need to know for the ports. :)).

~Blood

Solution
So I've got a lot of storage space and well it's mainly for games and projects etc. However, I've had a Seagate 8TB Backup drive I've always recorded my games too but I believe it is getting a tad bit old now and I'm wanting to get something a little better. At least so that I'm not being bottle necked too much?

My plan is to basically take the old 8TB I have now and sift through everything on there that I do and don't need, then to get 2 new externals, one to allow me to record onto and then edit. And the second one to host some less played games but also as a backup for my edited videos. I'm just wondering what would I be looking at for both of these drives? For the one to record I'm looking for something around 1TB+ and for the...

My plan is to basically take the old 8TB I have now and sift through everything on there that I do and don't need, then to get 2 new externals, one to allow me to record onto and then edit. And the second one to host some less played games but also as a backup for my edited videos. I'm just wondering what would I be looking at for both of these drives? For the one to record I'm looking for something around 1TB+ and for the backup. Well anything around 8TB or maybe 12TB.

TLDR;
Need 2 external drives. One for recording to and editing(1TB+), the second being a backup of the edited videos(8TB+). What do I get? (Motherboard is a Z390 Godlike in case you need to know for the ports. :)).

~Blood
If USB connection, it's type may be worst bottleneck, your MB has latest and fastest USB-C which wouldn't bottleneck any mechanical HDD and scarcely any SSD.

Solution