[SOLVED] External drive not recognized? cant format?

slyce

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
Windows seems to not detect my EHD for some reason.. I've tried multiple suggestions online but to no avail.

When I go to devices and printers, the icon for the HD shows up, as well as in Device manager. They both show the actual name of the device (Seagate Backup+). But when I check in Disk Management, It says Disk 1 Unknown - Not Initialized. I tried to right click and Initialize to see if I can create a partition, but I get an error message "The system cannot find the file specified". There is an option to eject the HD in the notifications area but the actual HD never shows up in My Computer. I wasnt planning on deleting the files inside, but since my problem is now bigger, I dont care if I delete the files as long as I can make sure that the actual device is still running.

I have already tried uninstalling the driver, restarting, trying a different slot but it didnt get me anywhere. The actual device's light doesnt turn on too. HELP!!

Solution
I tried downloading the tools. In SeaTools for Windows, my EHD is not being detected, so I cannot do anything to it. Same with the second, it gives me a dropdown option but then again, it doesnt detect my EHD

It seems you need to get the bigger picture of it.

From what i've searched the cause of it are:

• Virus attack
  • Bad sectors
  • Partition Loss
  • File system corruption
  • Corrupted Master Boot Record (MBR)
You need to:
"You're going to get rid of such pesky issue and fix external hard drive not initialized I/O error by going to [1] change a connection cable, [2] fix corrupted MBR, [3] use DiskPart command, and [4] remove virus from your PC/laptop."
- easeus

It's a form of an I/O error.

slyce

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
Did you check it with a different USB port and different PC/laptop?

Try the tools provided by Seagate (scroll down to downloads)
https://www.seagate.com/support/external-hard-drives/portable-hard-drives/backup-plus-portable/

eventually try a firmware update

troubleshooting:
https://www.seagate.com/support/kb/usb-external-troubleshooter-003581en/

I tried downloading the tools. In SeaTools for Windows, my EHD is not being detected, so I cannot do anything to it. Same with the second, it gives me a dropdown option but then again, it doesnt detect my EHD

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019

It seems you need to get the bigger picture of it.

From what i've searched the cause of it are:

• Virus attack
  • Bad sectors
  • Partition Loss
  • File system corruption
  • Corrupted Master Boot Record (MBR)
You need to:
"You're going to get rid of such pesky issue and fix external hard drive not initialized I/O error by going to [1] change a connection cable, [2] fix corrupted MBR, [3] use DiskPart command, and [4] remove virus from your PC/laptop."
- easeus

It's a form of an I/O error.

Solution