Question External Drive Question (WD Elements)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolkie 72

Prominent
Aug 7, 2022
A while back I bought this external hd, and my IT tech told me to "save all your music on your G drive".

I think everyone already knows about the WMP Codec Problem. It's when you go to play a playlist or a cut off a cd and it won't play because of a "Codec Error".

How do : a) make sure I have music on drive G on this thing and
b) can you buy Codexes and upload them so that WMP will work.

My specs:
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
AMD FX-8300 36 °C
Vishera 32nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 805MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 (Socket M2) 42 °C
Graphics
E321VL (1600x900@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER (MSI) 47 °C
Storage
111GB TOSHIBA MKNSSDEC120GB ATA Device (SATA (SSD)) 43 °C
1863GB MB2000EBUCF ATA Device (SATA ) 43 °C
1862GB Western Digital WD Elements 2621 USB Device (USB (SATA) (SSD)) 43 °C
Optical Drives
ATAPI iHAS324 F ATA Device
Audio

Wolkie 72

Prominent
Aug 7, 2022
I don't get it. Disk Management reports that your used space is 3% of 1.8TiB. That's about 60GB. Now you appear to be telling us that you don't see any files? If that's the case, then why all the talk about codecs?

The codecs is how this whole thing began, One day I went to play a cd and got the message above about the codecs being wrong, and no song would play> "Okay", I said, "I have all my music files stored on drive G of the external drive and I can get them off that." Wrong. That doesn't work.

This is actually the second time I have posted about this problem, but the first time it got very little attention. I was given suggestions about various players including VLC.

I downloaded Klite's codec pac hoping that would solve the problem, but no it's something more wrong than that. All I know for sure at this point is that the G drive is or was full of music and now it isn't, but shows files in use.

But I don't see any music files or songs to play. Recently I bought a couple of Robert Klein cd's and they played fine and also added themselves to the library where they still are.

There's a message at the bottom right when I have WMP on and want to play something off a playlist (Those DO show, but don't play - codec prob) and that message says "media changing" and will say so ad infinitum.

Honestly, fzabkar, I don't know what else to tell you. If someone is available to go remote and have a look, I'd pay the fee. Otherwise, I guess I'll make nice with "She Who Must Be Obeyed" until I get a new rig.

Thanks for trying to help me. It is MOST appreciated.

I have music on drive G
your Disk Management screenshot shows BillMusic(G:) as 97% empty.
this means if that is where your audio files were located then they are now gone.

when converting files from CD to disk, use MP3 codec.
so audio files will be .mp3 files.

any decent player, which VLC is a very nice one, will play mp3 files with no problem.
Windows Media Player has never been known to have issues with mp3 files either, don't know where you found this info about codec problems.

USAFRet

Titan
This is what the output of WinDirStat looks like.
This is my photo drive. jpg/mov/avi/RAF/png.....
Each of those colored blocks represent a file.

Hover over one, and the filename and path will be shown at bottom left.

GVSFdKq.jpg

Wolkie 72

Prominent
Aug 7, 2022
And none of the G drives in the index load music files, so I guess they aren't there anymore. Wife says "Eat it or wear it!" , so I guess it's dinner time. Thanks everyone, but I don't see much that can be helped. I feel like I wasted your time, and I am sorry about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS