[SOLVED] external drives and imaging programs

PDN

Reputable
Apr 17, 2019
I have Windows 11 22H2 222621.1105 and have Samsung external drives T7. They are fine but I am using them wrong at times.
Using Macrium image with no trouble. I can also add other files and more macrium images to the first image. So far ok.

I tried Paramount learning that macrium will be gone in 24.
When I install paramount it sems as though the external drive is wiped. I don't want too keep playing with the drive . I don't use a VM.
Regarding the wiping of the external drive and paramount, does this happen b/c I install paramount or when I run the program?
I know these programs format the drive but when I back up to a macrium drive it accepts images and other files. Can you have both macrium and paramount in the machine
and use a single external drive.
Do I need another external drive for a different imaging program?

Why is the external drive wiped when I introduce paramount?

PDN

Reputable
Apr 17, 2019
Thanks, I will use Macrium and likely pay soon.
If I install another imaging program it should not delete anything with external drive unplugged.
If I plug external drive in, still nothing should happen to the eternal drive, I think.
If I run the second imaging program it then will affect the external drive where I have all my Macrium images correct?
I ask b/c I can add photos and music along with more Macrium images to the external drive with no issue.
It seemed that when I involved Paragon, my external drive was wiped.

Maybe it is that Paragon like any imaging program performs a format of the drive when running?
Just trying to figure it out.
Either you should not use two imaging programs or you need to get a separate external drive for each imaging program?

Maybe it is that Paragon like any imaging program performs a format of the drive when running?
Just trying to figure it out.
Either you should not use two imaging programs or you need to get a separate external drive for each imaging program?

Paragon or Paramount? Heard of the former, not the latter.

"running" a program means what? Opening? Making an image file? Restoring an image file?

Making a Macrium image doesn't format anything.

You can certainly "use" 2 different imaging programs. A Macrium image file doesn't require any special handling. You can store it anywhere it will fit, but you cannot originally save it on a partition that is included in the image.

I haven't used Paragon in over 10 years, so have little memory of it. I'd guess it is quite similar to Macrium and creates a file of some type, to be restored later.

It appears my limitations are obvious; we all have start somewhere.

You need to distinguish between "cloning" and "imaging".

They are cousins that can lead to the same result....recovering from a bad situation.

An "image" is a file. Typically a big file, with an .mrimg extension. It may represent 1 partition or several. You choose.

A "clone" is best regarded as a process that copies ALL partitions to some other drive.

Macrium can do either.

Cloning is a single step process. Imaging requires making an image and then restoring it.....2 steps. An image file (before restoration) can be opened in File Explorer and examined, but that's not its primary purpose.

A successful "clone" makes the target drive immediately bootable.

An image file is NOT bootable until it is restored to some drive, at which point that drive becomes bootable.

PDN

Reputable
Apr 17, 2019
Thank you Lafong.
Could you please tell me why running Paragon Backup and Restore as a trial would wipe the destination drive of my Macrium images and other files?
I have used Macrium successfully for years and thought to give Paragon backup and restore a try. I know cloning consumes the drive but thought imaging did not.

USAFRet

Titan
To my understanding, Macrium Reflect 8 will no longer be free as of Jan 1 2024.
No. You are operating from a false premise.

MR v8 will go on extended support the day v9 releases.
v8 ends ALL support 1 year after that.
They have not yet given a specific date for v9 release.

I have seen NOTHING that categorically states there will not be a Macrium Reflect 9 Free.

In addition, your current v8 will not magically stop work. It sill just not get any more updates.

If you look at the support policy here:
https://www.macrium.com/product-support-policy

It shows the dates of the last several releases.
The current one goes into Extended Support on the day the next one releases.

It has been this way since 2011 and v5.

I have Paid Macrium on my main system and free on all the others.
Currently all v8.

They have ALL upgraded to the next version seamlessly, even the free ones. v6 to 7 to 8.

USAFRet

Titan
Thank you Lafong.
Could you please tell me why running Paragon Backup and Restore as a trial would wipe the destination drive of my Macrium images and other files?
I have used Macrium successfully for years and thought to give Paragon backup and restore a try. I know cloning consumes the drive but thought imaging did not.
Imaging should not.
All depends on how Paragon does it.

I know Macrium does not. The Image results in a single file.

Thank you Lafong.

I have no knowledge to speak of about Paragon. Used it briefly circa 2010.

You say "running" Paragon. Not sure what that means. Opening? Doing something from Paragon menus? I can't recall the menus or general procedures.

"Running" Macrium would certainly "wipe the destination drive" if running means restoration.

In Macrium-land, "restoration" consumes the destination drive. "Making an image file" does not. Not sure what you mean by "imaging".

PDN

Reputable
Apr 17, 2019
@ Titan- your explanation re: Macrium has enlightened me and thank you.
There seems to be not much information about Paragon Backup and Restore but then again I have not explained myself clearly. All I meant was with Macrium installed and using the external drive containing images and other files, I tried to use the same external drive with Paragon to image my system to the same external drive and it wiped that same external drive clean.
It is a moot point because I am staying with Macrium and will pay. It has been good to me over the years.
The other discussion was an attempt to learn why the issue occurred.
@Lafong thank you for your contribution and help.
Excuses aside, @ 83 and 100% disabled vet my grammatical expressions are what I can do. I don't know where to ask.

Last edited:
All I meant was with Macrium installed and using the external drive containing images and other files, I tried to use the same external drive with Paragon to image my system to the same external drive and it wiped that same external drive clean.

I have to assume that the red portion above was equivalent to a Macrium "restore an image" rather than a Macrium "make an image", but of course I don't know anything about your keystrokes or the choices you may have made from Paragon menus.

It's also possible you did the Paragon equivalent of Macrium cloning, rather than Macrium imaging.

PDN

Reputable
Apr 17, 2019
If you see my post #1, I asked, in essence, why my Macrium image got wiped from my external drive when I ran Paragon Backup and Restore.

I asked another person and the reply simply was, " Depends on how each manufacturer sets up his software. It may be that Paragon is set up to remove any other programs on the partition it is using as a security procedure. Since I have only used Reflect for years I can't give you a definite answer, but it sounds like that is Paragon's coded procedure.
I used two other backup utilities years ago and both let me down in a critical restore. Reflect is the only one that never failed me in years, and I use it quite often, including transfer of an OS to a new drive."

My point is I don't think I was so vague others could not have kept the question to the point as this person did and not answer as though I asked some odd question to be picked apart. I do appreciate help but not ridicule.