Question external drives and speed

jammer42777

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hello!
I have two hard drives, I want to transfer from one to the other,
One is usb=C the other is usb 3.0 should that process go through smoothly or will there be significant bottlenecks,
Thank you!
--Joshua

Lutfij

Titan
Depending on how much data you have to migrate from one drive to the next, it might take a few minutes to probably close to an hour or more...the key word here is size of your data. As my colleague above has also asked, an HDD would be slower than an SSD, for obvious reasons(which will factor in to your transfer speeds/times).

Reactions: Inthrutheoutdoor

USAFRet

Titan
Hello!
I have two hard drives, I want to transfer from one to the other,
One is usb=C the other is usb 3.0 should that process go through smoothly or will there be significant bottlenecks,
Thank you!
--Joshua
Performance is dictated by the slowest device in the chain.
But...the longer you wait to start it, the longer it will take.

Just do it.

Reactions: Inthrutheoutdoor

jammer42777

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Performance is dictated by the slowest device in the chain.
But...the longer you wait to start it, the longer it will take.

Just do it.
Right now I\m using my old computer it will be about 3 months before I buy the usb C drive, or until my old PC dies.
The external drive is a usb C device, it runs beautifully currently, I am curious to see how much of a bottleneck usb C is compred to sata 3.

Right now I\m using my old computer it will be about 3 months before I buy the usb C drive, or until my old PC dies.
The external drive is a usb C device, it runs beautifully currently, I am curious to see how much of a bottleneck usb C is compred to sata 3.
USB-C doesn't specify anything other than the connector. USB-C supports a wide variety of protocols, but the only one you're guaranteed is USB 2.0.

However, chances are the protocol it's using is the 5 gigabit per second USB 3.x one, since all but the largest capacity hard drives can't saturate a 3 gigabit per second SATA 2 connection.

USAFRet

Titan
The "bottleneck" is whatever device in the chain is the slowest.
Or, the composition of the data.
Or both.

You can't put a simple number on a data exchange like this.

Just do it.