[SOLVED] External DVD-RW Not Working Anymore

Sep 11, 2021
Hi,

I am new to this forum and not overly computer savvy :oops:

Basically I've had a Asus External Slim DVD-RW SDRW-08D2S-U LITE for over a year and suddenly my laptop doesn't recognise it. I've used it earlier this year with no problems.

I have a Lenovo G50 laptop and have had it a few years now. Its a 64 bit one and I'm running Windows 10. The Asus is compatible with Windows 10 and I've used it quite a few times to transfer CD's (I'm old fashioned I know) onto my laptop by ripping them and then I like to transfer them on to MP3 player. The Lenovo laptop is up to date wth Windows updates too.

I plug the Asus's 2 USB's into my laptop and nothing. The ASUS is powering up but nothing shown on the computer. CD's aren't playing at all. The ASUS works on my daughter's laptop ok in every respect although it ripped the CD's in a non useable format so no good really. My MP3 which connects via a different USB cable is recognised by my laptop.

I've updated all the ASUS firmware, updated USB driver's but no joy.

Please can anyone help using simple language thanks.

Solution
I've had a Asus External Slim DVD-RW SDRW-08D2S-U LITE for over a year and suddenly my laptop doesn't recognise it.

CD/DVD writers/readers are cheap and one of the least (if not the least) reliable component when it comes to the PC hardware. In my years, i've replaced well over 12 CD/DVD writers since at one point, they just stop reading discs. Buying a new one and problem solved. With this, i have same suggestion for you - buy a new one.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I've had a Asus External Slim DVD-RW SDRW-08D2S-U LITE for over a year and suddenly my laptop doesn't recognise it.

CD/DVD writers/readers are cheap and one of the least (if not the least) reliable component when it comes to the PC hardware. In my years, i've replaced well over 12 CD/DVD writers since at one point, they just stop reading discs. Buying a new one and problem solved. With this, i have same suggestion for you - buy a new one.

Reactions: Lizzie28
Solution
Sep 11, 2021
I agree lol. Already replaced one within a year of having it. It was just a straight swap as under warranty. But the current one works with my daughters desktop... Thanks for your answer though