External flash?

I just wonder...many photo shops (where you can take a picture for documents
etc...) have external flashes (big ones) not connected to a camera, but
fired just with light activated sensor - when little flash on the camera
fires, then photo sensor on big flash sees it and fires also. I wonder -
would that work on digital camera - i mean, what is the delay in this case?
Too big? i have old flash (for analog camera) lying around and it's pretty
strong, so it would be possible to use it if all this works.

Ralph

In Australia you can buy a construction kit from electronic shops to
construct such a device.
Cost is AU$29. Delay can be adjusted to suit the period between the preflash
and the main flash.
Works fine for digital and any film camera.
Just check that you can adjust the delay on any unit you consider.

--
remove n u m b e r s to reply
SleeperMan wrote in message ...
>I just wonder...many photo shops (where you can take a picture for
documents
>etc...) have external flashes (big ones) not connected to a camera, but
>fired just with light activated sensor - when little flash on the camera
>fires, then photo sensor on big flash sees it and fires also. I wonder -
>would that work on digital camera - i mean, what is the delay in this case?
>Too big? i have old flash (for analog camera) lying around and it's pretty
>strong, so it would be possible to use it if all this works.

Ralph typed:

> In Australia you can buy a construction kit from electronic shops to
> construct such a device.
> Cost is AU$29. Delay can be adjusted to suit the period between the
> preflash and the main flash.
> Works fine for digital and any film camera.
> Just check that you can adjust the delay on any unit you consider.
>
>> I just wonder...many photo shops (where you can take a picture for
>> documents etc...) have external flashes (big ones) not connected to
>> a camera, but fired just with light activated sensor - when little
>> flash on the camera fires, then photo sensor on big flash sees it
>> and fires also. I wonder - would that work on digital camera - i
>> mean, what is the delay in this case? Too big? i have old flash (for
>> analog camera) lying around and it's pretty strong, so it would be
>> possible to use it if all this works.

OK...thanks ... i'll check out and see.

dp

Should work ok.. disable the redeye reduction if that uses blinks of
the flash. Otherwise that will set off your big flash before the shutter
opens.

The strong flash should be the one "driving", so if it isn't an
automatic you have to figure the F-stop using guide numbers.

I have done this with a pocket film camera and an external flash.
The extra hardware you need to set off the big one is a slave flash
adapter.

SleeperMan wrote:
> I just wonder...many photo shops (where you can take a picture for documents
> etc...) have external flashes (big ones) not connected to a camera, but
> fired just with light activated sensor - when little flash on the camera
> fires, then photo sensor on big flash sees it and fires also. I wonder -
> would that work on digital camera - i mean, what is the delay in this case?
> Too big? i have old flash (for analog camera) lying around and it's pretty
> strong, so it would be possible to use it if all this works.

Red eye reduction is made by little red light, not with pre-flashes, so this
is an advantage, i guess.
So, at the end, i'll have to learn to set my camera (i mean F
number)...surely, camera doesn't know that second flash will trigger, so i
guess i'll have to close F a bit or shorten shutter speed...But, i guess
it's nothing than a few 1000 shots can't teach... :)
Thanks

dp typed:

> Should work ok.. disable the redeye reduction if that uses blinks of
> the flash. Otherwise that will set off your big flash before the
> shutter opens.
>
> The strong flash should be the one "driving", so if it isn't an
> automatic you have to figure the F-stop using guide numbers.
>
> I have done this with a pocket film camera and an external flash.
> The extra hardware you need to set off the big one is a slave flash
> adapter.
>
> SleeperMan wrote:
>> I just wonder...many photo shops (where you can take a picture for
>> documents etc...) have external flashes (big ones) not connected to
>> a camera, but fired just with light activated sensor - when little
>> flash on the camera fires, then photo sensor on big flash sees it
>> and fires also. I wonder - would that work on digital camera - i
>> mean, what is the delay in this case? Too big? i have old flash (for
>> analog camera) lying around and it's pretty strong, so it would be
>> possible to use it if all this works.

dp

If both are auto-flashes, then both should stop when they sense that
enough light has hit the subject. It may just work out by itself. You
would have to set the external flash for your effective film speed.

SleeperMan wrote:

> So, at the end, i'll have to learn to set my camera (i mean F
> number)...surely, camera doesn't know that second flash will trigger, so i
> guess i'll have to close F a bit or shorten shutter speed...But, i guess
> it's nothing than a few 1000 shots can't teach... :)
> Thanks

My old analog flash do has built-in photo cell, which senses amount of
light. And guide number is 26.
So, i'll just make an adapter and try out.

dp typed: