Question External GPU Crashes Laptop?!

Jun 21, 2020
I have an ASUS RTX 2070 Super in a Razer Core X EGPU enclosure hooked up to my laptop via Thunderbolt 3. Whenever I am not in game my computer freezes (no blue screen) till I have to turn off and on my computer again.

My laptop is a Dell XPS 15 with a 4k display that i run at 1920x1080 while using the GPU. The display on the laptop runs on the Intel UHD 630 and the 1650 that is in the computer is disabled while using it. Again it only happens when I'm not playing games.

I've tried reinstalling drivers and disabling all the graphics cards except the RTX 2070 but have not been able to find a solution to this issue. It has been persistent for quite some time and I wanted to see if any of you could figure out what might fix it.

(I know many people have had issues like these with eGPU's so I hope this would be a good resource for those who need it.)

If you have any questions furthermore about my setup please let me know and I will reply and edit the post to add more clarity!

Aug 25, 2020
I'm having the same problem. I'm currently exploring the "Power Management Mode" in the Nvida control panel - i have it set now to "Prefer consistent performance." - i'll update this thread if that works, or if I try something else.