News External GPU Enclosure With M.2 SSD Support Debuts on Indiegogo

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
External GPU "enclosure".

At the rate Nvidia is stealing our expansion slots (4 and counting for the 4090 / 4090 Ti), I guess there is no PC real estate left for them now, except outside the PC.

Actually, it might be a good idea, who knows. Hey, I bet it will also have it's own RGB dazzle 'em show for the Unicorn vomit fans!!

TechLurker

Reputable
Feb 6, 2020
Would be more exciting if they had figured out some kind of direct access between the eGPU and storage. Like a variation of the Radeon Pro SSG that integrated an NVMe drive that functionally became extra memory for the GPU to utilize or load from.

At the rate Nvidia is stealing our expansion slots (4 and counting for the 4090 / 4090 Ti), I guess there is no PC real estate left for them now, except outside the PC.
Or AMD and Nvidia can just start integrating NVMe drives onto the GPUs, like the Radeon Pro SSG.

Reactions: Order 66

edzieba

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2016
This is not an eGPU enclosure, It is an eGPU.
There is no separate GPU that can be installed or upgraded as with an external enclosure, the GPU is part of the device (it's a mobile GPU, so no surprise). OneNetbook make no claims of it being an enclosure either, that is an erroneous claim inserted entirely by Toms.

Li Ken-un

Distinguished
May 25, 2014
Or AMD and Nvidia can just start integrating NVMe drives onto the GPUs, like the Radeon Pro SSG.
That sounds like a bad idea… if any component fails, you’re looking at replacing the whole thing. If the NVMe storage is already removable, at least you can salvage. But who wants a GPU maker to make the choice of which SSD to include at the factory anyway?

It’s like buying a custom built computer from one of the major PC makers. They offer meh selection of SSDs and you can’t tell them to install zero SSDs so you can put in something of your own choosing.

Reactions: Order 66