External GPU for Lenovo W540

freddyj0000

Reputable
Nov 24, 2014
I recently bought Far Cry 4, after being told to buy it for my PC rather than Xbox360, because supposedly it would perform better on my laptop. Unfortunately I did not look at the minimum system requirements, because I believe my graphics card is not nearly good enough. When I run the game, even on lowest resolution and graphics quality, it runs sluggishly and obviously looks terrible. My problem is that, if I install a new graphics card (would be a Geforce 650 GTX or so) it voids my warranty, which is very important because I use my computer for engineering school. Is there a way to use a GPU like the one I mentioned, through an external adapter or some other apparatus? I have a Lenovo W540 quad core.

Jesse_Boy1997

Reputable
Apr 14, 2015

Well, yes, there actually is. I've not used one myself but here is the link to product: http://www.banggood.com/EXP-GDC-Laptop-External-PCI-E-Graphics-Card-p-934367.html
I hope this works with the lenovo W540 as I'm getting it as well for engineering class :)

xmaicox

Distinguished
May 9, 2009

Yes It works!!! I have a lenovo thinkpad w540 and hooked it up to exp gdc beast. At first I had some problems conflicting with the OEM operating system (Windows 8.1). But after I formatted it to windows 10, everything went ok, Super ok. You can even set optimus settings to use your egpu, so you have a choice of igpu, dgpu and egpu. Just remember before you hook it up, set your expresscard setting to Generation 1, it's on the bios. Have fun!!!