External GPU on desktop pc

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

exavius_

Commendable
Nov 5, 2017
So I got an Acer Aspire TC-230 which has A LOT of things wrong with it (these don't make it unusable just hard to modify) mainly of its 60 Watt AC Adaptor PSU.

My main concern right now is the GPU. I'm currently using an MSI GT 710. What I thought I could do is use the idea of an eGPU (External Graphics Processing Unit) used on laptops. I intend to use something like this, I'll use an old laptop cable to power it since the card I'm going to use is a GT 1030.

Alright so here comes the problems/concerns,

1. Do I have a x1 PCI-E slot or an Mini PCI slot?

2. If its Mini PCI, can I get a duel adapter so I can use the video card dock and my wireless card?

3. If its PCI-E, does it still work?

4. Will I have any other problems?

This is the back of my case
Thisis my Motherboard

Specs:
AMD A4-7210 with R3 Intergrated Graphics
Nvidia Geforce GT 710 MSI 2GB DDR3
8GB DDR3L RAM
Acer TC-230 Motherboard
60W AC Adapter PSU

Please let me know if I missed anything, I'm doing this at 11:30 PM *RIP ME*

Solution
External GPU is a bad idea. You can do much better.

From size of your case, you can put standard PSU inside of it.
It would require slight modification, but you could rig output of standard PSU to power your motherboard. You'd need power connector from your external AC adapter and connect it to appropriate wires from standard PSU.
What is output voltage of your AC adapter btw? I'm guessing 12V ?

And you can install GT 1030 in the same place, where GT710 currently is.
Ah yes - and you'd need to rewire "power on" button to startup standard psu. That can be done quite easily.

It this ends up being to complicated or you are afraid of frying your pc (1 slight mistake and it's dead) you can go for and i5 dell for about 120€ and that will natively work with the gt 1030.

exavius_

Commendable
Nov 5, 2017

The CPU is a BGA making it impossible to upgrade (But this is something I'm working on, hopefully making a prototype soon)

exavius_

Commendable
Nov 5, 2017

what do you mean by put a 300w server psu, I don't even have standard connectors for even an ATX