shrikitiki2011

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Hi Everyone,

I came across an interesting thread about a guy using an external GPU on his Lenovo X220. I am not sure how this is possible, and was wondering if I could do the same, and where I can get the parts necessary to do that

Thanks

Pepto

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Never heard of a external GPU, I don't even think it is possible. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure there isn't any port on any computer that can support the bandwidth of a GPU.

JohnBender

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
There would indeed be a significant bottleneck by the expresscard interface; but if you look at the DIY eGPU thread on the notebookreview forums, they say that e.g a GTX 560Ti will still give you an appreciable performance increase over Intel HD 3000 alone.
On Youtube, /watch?v=36FNJsYhLb4, Battlefield 3 runs smoothly (35-60 fps) on Ultra (as opposed to 7-8 fps on Low on Intel HD 3000).
The whole process, however, of building your own eGPU, remains complicated, and much more expensive than say a console (keep in mind that you need another monitor! can't use the laptop's). So if you are somewhat tech-savvy, really determined AND have the money, know that it is possible. The thread I mentioned is really well made.

sk1939

Distinguished

It's also a giant 900 page thread, it's easier to read the summary.

JohnBender

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012

Yes of course, that's what I meant. Reading that and the experiences people made with your laptop (if any) should be enough to have a fair grasp on what you need to do and buy.