External GPUs?

Jan 28, 2022
I've heard of a couple places that have external GPUs that a laptop can use to give more power when needed for more resource heavy gameplay. Is there anything that remotely possible to do so? I have a laptop, but I was debating on selling it and getting a desktop that's 900. But I doubt there's anything that has a 3050 RTX in it alongside Intel for that kind of price. What do you think? I only have 4gb of VRam, so I was debating on looking into something that can at least increase that. I wish they had a simple thing that could be plugged in by USB to just add more Vram, but nothing else. And yes, I finally got a new laptop. I like it, but I don't kinda like it like it..

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, laptops with thunderbolt ports can utilize external GPUs. If you don't have that, not really any plug and play method.

If you listed the laptop in question, we could be more helpful.

Jan 28, 2022
Yes, laptops with thunderbolt ports can utilize external GPUs. If you don't have that, not really any plug and play method.

If you listed the laptop in question, we could be more helpful.

Of course. This is a new one, so i'm hoping I get this right.

Asus TUF Gaming F15
Processor: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-11260H @ 2.60GHz
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Laptop GPU & Intel(R) UHD Graphics
RAM: 16GB

The current Vram I have is 4gb. My old laptop that was crashing so much only had 6, but this one has 2 less. I was thinking of refunding it and getting a desktop, but I don't know of anyone that has a desktop I could trade this for a desktop or purchase one that's even 900.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
A laptop GPU with 6 GB of VRAM shouldn't be causing actual crashing, it's far more likely that the cause of the crashing was another reason.

And no, you can't increase VRAM. A 3050's not really powerful enough to take advantage of more.

I think this is a place where it would be helpful to give the entire story of problems you're having rather than simply your diagnosis; I have a strong belief, from your posts, that your problems have little or nothing to do with VRAM, so it would be more useful to get to the actual source of any problems.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
A very variable model of laptop. I presume this is the lowest end 2021 model with 16GB of ram. Not a single stick of ram I hope?

144hz 1080p display.

It does indeed have a thunderbolt 4 port. So external GPUs are on the table. But it is odd to already have an internal GPU and use an external one. I guess you would have some on the go gaming performance, and then much more if you spent another $1000 or so on an external GPU. Doesn't sound like you have the money for that though.

It did also have this note: (Thunderbolt 4 not supported on FX506HCB/HEB) check if that is anything on your model.

Last edited:
The problem with an external GPU is it can be as much as buying another system sometimes. Quality enclosures tend to command triple digit figures, then you have to buy a quality power supply to power that if the enclosure doesn't come with one. So you're already looking at $200+ before you start looking at a video card.

Also the reason why you can't just add VRAM or whatever via USB is USB extremely slow compared to the bandwidth GPUs require from VRAM. For instance, the RTX 3060 has a VRAM bandwidth of 360 GB/sec. USB 4.0 can only do about 4.5 GB/sec once you take the protocol's overhead into account.

Jan 28, 2022
A laptop GPU with 6 GB of VRAM shouldn't be causing actual crashing, it's far more likely that the cause of the crashing was another reason.

And no, you can't increase VRAM. A 3050's not really powerful enough to take advantage of more.

I think this is a place where it would be helpful to give the entire story of problems you're having rather than simply your diagnosis; I have a strong belief, from your posts, that your problems have little or nothing to do with VRAM, so it would be more useful to get to the actual source of any problems.

This was a previous laptop. I'm using a new one and it's running fine. I was just looking into ways to get more Vram, or I can refund this laptop and just look into desktops. I know my posts comprised of crashing issues, but I finally got a new laptop. I was only debating on what to do with this laptop. Keep using it, refund it and just buy a desktop or see if there's a place around to trade for a desktop, or just go neutral on ideas.

A very variable model of laptop. I presume this is the lowest end 2021 model with 16GB of ram. Not a single stick of ram I hope?

144hz 1080p display.

It does indeed have a thunderbolt 4 port. So external GPUs are on the table. But it is odd to already have an internal GPU and use an external one. I guess you would have some on the go gaming performance, and then much more if you spent another $1000 or so on an external GPU. Doesn't sound like you have the money for that though.

It did also have this note: (Thunderbolt 4 not supported on FX506HCB/HEB) check if that is anything on your model.

And yup, you're right. This laptop does have a C port on it as well, but I just thought there'd be a way to increase the Vram since when i'm in VR, it does warn me of low vram, frame stutters may happen and it does a lot sometimes. I just need more turbo under the hood for more power is all. Shame..this laptop can't use it since that's the exact model of this laptop. Ah well!

The problem with an external GPU is it can be as much as buying another system sometimes. Quality enclosures tend to command triple digit figures, then you have to buy a quality power supply to power that if the enclosure doesn't come with one. So you're already looking at $200+ before you start looking at a video card.

Also the reason why you can't just add VRAM or whatever via USB is USB extremely slow compared to the bandwidth GPUs require from VRAM. For instance, the RTX 3060 has a VRAM bandwidth of 360 GB/sec. USB 4.0 can only do about 4.5 GB/sec once you take the protocol's overhead into account.

Well shoot.

TRENDING THREADS