External Graphics Card

ksn380

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
Hey guys,

So, my desktop PC died yesterday. I checked the power supply by pulling it out, connecting two ends of a paper clip to the green and black wire, with the PS connected to just two fans. The power supply turned on and so did the fans. However, the main large 120mm fan's blade would not spin. I suspect this might have caused the CPU (or something else) to overheat, hence killing the PC.

When the PS was connected to the PC, as soon as I would try to turn on the PC, a quick surge of power would go thru the PC (lasts for about a second) and then shut off.

However, an LED bulb on the MB stays lit. Even after the PC shuts off.

Q: Can a power supply power on but not have enough juice to power a PC? What do you think happened?

The reason I posted this in this section and titled it "external graphics card" is due to the following;

At first I thought, hey if my PC is dead, time to upgrade, huh?

I'd rather not spend $500 plus on a new PC.

I happen to have a pretty decent laptop that I thought could replace my desktop PC. It's a Lenovo Y70-70 Touch.

Here are the specs;

Intel Core i7-471HQ @ 2.50GHz
16GB DD3 Dual Channel RAM
Mushkin 128GB SSD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 4GB

My dead PC specs (from memory):

Intel Core i7
8GB RAM
Sandisk 256GB SSD
SAPPHIRE DUAL-X Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16
(this was powering my three monitors via 2 DVI and 1 HDMI))
Acer G235H 23" LCD Monitor X 3

I was hoping to replicate the triple monitor setup via the Y70. The Y70 has 1 HDMI out, 3 USB 3.0 jacks.

Thought of TripleHead to GO but's its $300 and I don't have a displayport jack.

Thought of Startech USB 3.0 to DVI display adapter, but I'd need 3 of them @ $100 each.

Q: Can a displayport jack be added to the Y70?

Q: Can the Y70's HDMI port be split into 3 for the monitors?

Q: Should I/Can I use something like this with my Sapphire 6970?

http://

Apologies in advance for such a long post, and so many questions in the same post. Thought it'd be easier/better for you guys to see the whole picture as opposed to posting separate questions in separate forum sections. Plus, my mind is going in a million different directions. I'm sure you folks have been there.

I'm not a gamer. I do light video editing from time to time. I have a triple monitor setup for the added screen real estate and added productivity.

What would you do in my situation?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

KSN

Solution
First of all power surge happens when you bought a really cheap PSU. Bad parts creates instability when supplying the necessary wattage and creates problems underload. But there is not enough context in your post to determine if its actually a psu problem. Motherboard light turns on but no fan spin is an indicator that you fried the mosfets on the motherboard.

Second, it is inadvisable to even try running an external graphics card on laptop. Waste of money and certainly there is a 90% chance your laptop isn't compatible. To try and run external graphics on a laptop, you need to buy special adapter board that hooks into the a mini pci-e slot which the wireless card is usually in place. And it must be compatible, hence its pointless and...

meat_loaf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
First of all power surge happens when you bought a really cheap PSU. Bad parts creates instability when supplying the necessary wattage and creates problems underload. But there is not enough context in your post to determine if its actually a psu problem. Motherboard light turns on but no fan spin is an indicator that you fried the mosfets on the motherboard.

Second, it is inadvisable to even try running an external graphics card on laptop. Waste of money and certainly there is a 90% chance your laptop isn't compatible. To try and run external graphics on a laptop, you need to buy special adapter board that hooks into the a mini pci-e slot which the wireless card is usually in place. And it must be compatible, hence its pointless and waste of money since there are barely any device with enough compatability to do that.

Laptops are not meant for gaming unless its a gaming laptop.

And for your rest of the questions, no. HDMI cable is a digital output, and splitting it into 3 cables, unless its YrCrBr, no.

Solution