external graphics card ?

loraalkhara

Reputable
Oct 31, 2017
hi all !,

iam currently upgrading my MSI ge620dx, and thinking about investing time and money in an external graphics card adapter.
my question is: just how effective and how much worth it the external graphics card for a developer/ pen-tester on the move? (i know that most of you will say that its not worth it as iam on the move, but still iam considering it)

laptop specs:

i7 2760qm 3.00GHz

16gb 1333MHz

1TB SSHD

1TB HDD

geforce GT555m

any opinions will be more than appreciated

Solution
I would imagine the i7 would be beefy enough, however I'm not sure the GT555 would be. NVIDIA recommends a Quattro card for CAD, but has minimum system requirements for the different CAD programs here.

loraalkhara

Reputable
Oct 31, 2017
the external GPU adapter supports any laptop with a mini pcie slot where the wifi card is connected. my plan was to sacrifice the internal wifi card to connect the external GPU to it ...

but please consider my question about the efficiency and worthwhile side

austintx1985

Prominent
Nov 8, 2017
There are a few issues with attempting this. For starters, your laptop simply will not have the power for a graphics card that would seemingly meet your needs (I'm assuming you would be looking at something in the range of the GTX 1070/1080). This would require a dock with external power that you would plug your monitor or whatever into. From what I've seen, you can connect those "docks", if you will, to the laptop via an ExpressCard slot which not many laptops have. I personally would not consider this "efficient" or "worthwhile", but that honestly depends on your preferences and whether you are willing to go through all of that trouble.

loraalkhara

Reputable
Oct 31, 2017
thanks ! i don't mind the trouble ! but what iam asking is that is it powerful enough? or the geforce GT555m + i7 2760qm is enough for serious developing and 3D autocad designing

Thanks again

austintx1985

Prominent
Nov 8, 2017
I would imagine the i7 would be beefy enough, however I'm not sure the GT555 would be. NVIDIA recommends a Quattro card for CAD, but has minimum system requirements for the different CAD programs here.

Solution