External Hard disk won't load.

luna93

Reputable
Mar 14, 2014
Hi there. Anyone can help me with this? I have a 500GB Toshiba canvio external hard disk and I can't access my files in it. It just work fine before. My friend borrow it to transfer files from another laptop to his laptop. When he tried to connect it, the drive appear on My Computer with the device letter but no name. He still can't access it after waiting for a while. His My Computer then hangs when he try to right click on the drive. The same thing happened to my laptop and the other laptop when he tried to connect it the second time. I've done the SeaTools method, but the software hang when scanning. Any help will be greatly appreciated :)

all three laptop use Windows 7 with me and my friends laptop is 64 bit, and the other one is 32 bit.

edit: some confusing thing happened, when i connect the storage, youtube video won't play, and when i unplugged it, the video start to play. also when i tried to scan the drive, the AV just hangs. the hard disk just won't load. what's going on here? help me plz...

Solution

TyrOd

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013

The drive is physically failing.

Do you have a backup of the data on it?

If not, prepare to pay $500-$2000 to recover it.

luna93

Reputable
Mar 14, 2014

i'm a game artist. Very much my previous works were on that. They're not really important though since i saved a backup on image hosting, but the other files like videos and pictures aren't not. It's nice to have them around, but $500-$2000 for a recovey, is just too damn expensive. i thinks i'll pass for now, but i really be glad if there's a way to recover them..

TyrOd

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013

There are things you can try on your own with higher risk of making data permanently unrecoverable.
You'll want to try to image the drive, sector by sector using acronis trueimage or something similar.
If you can get an image, that is good, because then you can run a more advanced data recovery software like GetDataBack with good results.

If making a complete image is not possible, you have a chance still with GetDataBack, but with much more serious chances of data loss.

You might spend ~150 on both pieces of software, but GetDataback has a free trial where you can see data before you buy.

Solution