Question External Hard drive attached to router or Synology NAS

fobos8

Commendable
Nov 30, 2019
Hi guys

I'm a self-employed Land Surveyor and my wife is a self-employed Architect. We both work from our home office. I've been backing up my files to Backblaze and also to some External Hard drives attached to the router in the house. This seems to be working ok. My wife is now going to be working from home meaning I need to back her stuff up aswell.

Are there any advantages to me using something like a Synology NAS for our backups or should I continue with Hard drives attached to our router?

Cheers, Andrew

Reactions: sticmatic

Ralston18

Titan
How much data is being backed up and is speed a requirement?

Are you attaching the hard drives to the router via a USB port?

What router are you using? My Linksys WRT1900AC seemed to slow everything down whenever a USB drive was attached....

The important part is that the backups are routinely done and regularly verified to be recoverable and readable.

You should have multiple backup copies of your own and some should be off-site and physically accessible to you at any time.

Above and beyond sole reliance on Backblaze.

If you have a spare desktop you could set up your own NAS using FreeNAS.

Reactions: sticmatic

fobos8

Commendable
Nov 30, 2019
Hi Ralston

Thanks for your interest. Yes the HDD are attached to my Asus NT66u via the USB.

I'm backing up about 500GB of data. The backups are done daily using Macrium.

Using external HDD attached to my router seems to be working okay - I just wondered as I'm backing up business data if I should be using NAS as opposed to what I'm currently doing which seem basic albeit that it works.

Cheers, Andrew