External hard drive become unaccessible after upgrading to Windows 10

drike

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015
I recently upgraded my computer from Windows 7 to 10, can't remember if my hard drive was plugged in when it was upgrading, but now I can't access it anymore.

When i click into "Computer" it shows up as my normal drive's name, with "NTSF" written below,
and when click into it, a pop-up says "F:\ is not accessible, access is denied"

I tried changing the user permission by right-clicking the drive>Properties>Securities>Advanced>Change owner>myself but it still doesn't work.

I tried using other computer it doesn't open as well.

I'm desperately in need of using the files in the hard drive. Would be very grateful if anyone can help me out now.

Solution
Hey there, drike.

There have been reports on issues such as yours after a Windows 10 upgrade. You could try your drive with a different computer to see if you'll be able to access your data and back it up. You could also try uninstalling the HDD from Device Manager and reconnect it to your computer so that Windows can install its drivers again, to see if that helps. Other than that, you could take a look at this thread here, which has possible solutions to your problem: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/access-denied-on-external-hard-drive/a534c0e9-0f19-4d1a-be93-52d7b1a0e922.

Good luck!
Boogieman_WD

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
You have me scared now. I just plugged in my old 500gb external hd because my ssd's are out of space and I need to move something to clear some space on my boot drive. I just put in the request for windows 10 access when I booted up. Please update this with anything you find.

Thanks.

drike

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015

Hi Boogieman,

Thank you for your reply. I tried all of your suggestions, including the one in the link, but it still doesn't work.

Anyone reading this who has knowledge about this, please help me!

drike

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015

Hi axlrose, I have not found anything yet! I tried everything I could but it just doesn't work. I even had more problems with my computer now since I upgraded to Win10, like screen jam when turning on computer, and failure when restarting it. Not sure if it's the upgrade's fault or just my bad luck.

Please let me know too with anything you find.

drike

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015

Hi evaninspain, it is an expansion portable drive that is plugged into the USB port. Let me know if you find a solution!

So the same thing happened even after you tried it with a different computer? If this is the case, I'd recommend that you try accessing it via Linux Live DVD/USB in order to see if it is properly recognized and if you can get to your data. If that doesn't help, I'd suggest that you contact the HDD manufacturer's customer support for further assistance.

@evaninspain and @axlrose, guys, all of the suggestions I've posted go for you as well, so try them out.

drike

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015

Thanks! I found out a solution before trying out ur way. I accessed my hard drive in Safe Mode then back-uped all documents, and when im back in normal windows I formatted the hard drive.

Solution

Asustech69

Reputable
Nov 2, 2015
I have a seagate expansion and had the same issues, USB 3 connection to PC. I uninstalled the drivers for this drive in control panel and windows loaded the drivers again. Not had any issues since....