External Hard Drive Causing freezing and hangs until its unplugged.

cooltrain7

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
Hello,

So, I've just moved to a new SDD, I've install a clean version of windows 7, and have taken a complete backup of the past C Drive to an external 4TB Seagate drive. I've now deleted the contents on the last drive as its going to be space for all of my large files now.

On my external drive, I've got a massive chunk of video footage, and games which is clocking in at 900GB which I would like to move from the backup/external drive. This is where the problem arises, when I plug the drive it does a "searching for content" which sometimes will go unresponsive immediately.

After that it seems fine until I start to browser or try to move large files. If I were to select the entire 900gb and try to copy and paste, it will normally go unresponsive. Most computer actions past this point won't take effect until I unplug the drive and then everything happens at once.

Thank for any help.

cooltrain7

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013

Ok, so I started a check disk but because this system is a clean install it restarted during it due to some windows updates. The drive is no longer listed under my computer but is listed under the device manager. Although sometimes plugging in the device will give the message "That the device is not recognised". I should also comment that this drive is brand new.

USAFRet

Titan

Try a different USB port or cable.
Beyond that...the drive may well be dead.

cooltrain7

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013

Just tried uninstalling the device drivers and installing them again, drivers install fine but device is still not recognised. I only have 1 cable for this drive, as its the one it came with. I really can't imagine that this drive has failed already its only a week old.

USAFRet

Titan

Not completely out of the question. The earliest drive I've had die is 5 weeks.

cooltrain7

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
Ok, so I tried connecting the drive into another computer and waited a while. It became listed under disk management as "Unknown not initialized". After that I moved it back onto my main PC and its once again listed as a normal drive. At first showing only a few files, but now its showing all of them. While its currently connected, and working what steps do I need to take to get my stuff off. When I try copying anything it starts to calculate then closes almost immediately.

cooltrain7

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013

Ok so its moving things very slowly, sometimes when it will just start to calculate then just cancel, after going through some of the selected files some of them have "Data Error - Cycle Redundancy Check". I would like to do a check disk but it would take 8-12 hours and I want to try and move as much as I can before doing anything else while its still detected.

USAFRet

Titan

That drive is physically dying. Copy what you can off it.
Do NOT do a chkdsk. That may kill it completely.

cooltrain7

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013

So far I've shifted 60GB of it and I'm finding lots of files that are corrupted / Can’t be read. Just trying to get us much of as I can before anything happens. Afterwoods I would like to send it back but it contains all of my data ? Once I've moved everything I can should I try and format the drive ?

TRENDING THREADS