External hard drive confused

isaiahtboy360

Prominent
Oct 12, 2017
I have 2 external HDD and it has been connected to my laptop for some time like about 3 days, and when I hibernate and got have home and wanted to use the external hard drives I realized that the name and contents of external HDD "A" is in external HDD "B" and vice versa and am scared of data lose they are Seagate 2 TB HDD
Windows 10 RS 5
8gb Ram
1Tb internal..

Please help me out

When Windows enter sleep it could disconnect the drives to save power, the same way they get disconnected when you power of the PC or eject them.
When Windows comes back to sleep it will assign a drive letter to the first USB device that receives power and connects to the system.
That will not affect the data on the disks.

You could try that yourself with any two USB devices.
Plug two USB devices, unplug them, then revert the order and the drive letter will change.

To avoid confusion give them specific names (e.g. DATA1 & DATA2), that way you won't get confused when Windows does a letter assignment switcharoo on you.

isaiahtboy360

Prominent
Oct 12, 2017

i understand you @jojesa but in my case HDD A and HDD B are of the same make SEAGATE Hard disk drive and i have a physical mark on them for identification, so i know what i have in my hands before i plug it in to the system, but now both where plugged and the datas, files and folders in HDD A is now in HDD B and the files and folders where not complete and the same for HDD B .

isaiahtboy360

Prominent
Oct 12, 2017

no sir
i am presently using stellar phoenix to recover files because i have file on it that are important to me and need to start working on them

isaiahtboy360

Prominent
Oct 12, 2017

its a shock to me also and i think the IT world needs to hear about this