[SOLVED] External hard drive data recovery question

Jan 31, 2019
Hello everyone. I have a Seagate SRDOOF1 2TB Backup Plus external hard drive that unexpectedly turned into a brick overnight as I was backing up my files to it. I was able to get access to the device after a few hours of troubleshooting, but some folders are inaccessible while others are untouched. When I attempt to move the files off, the drive will automatically close out without input. Whenever I attempt to access particular folders on the drive, it'll lock up and freeze the entire computer.

If I'm patient, I can access some folders and the icons will load, and I can move them off of the drive, but others will remain blank and state that the image or file cannot be found. When I was able to move a sizable chunk of the images and files I had to the desktop, they were unreadable. I've got like 80% of my stuff on this thing and I'm hoping I don't have to toss it through a window at any point. I'm not sure if the entire thing is corrupted, or if repairing the disk (which locks up most of the time) will wipe the hard drive.

There was nothing wrong with this drive for the two months I had it until yesterday. Is there anyway to recover the files? Thanks.

Solution

Just an FYI, if you have your only copy of files on that drive, it is not a "backup". If you had a backup you would just replace the drive and copy the files to the other drive.

If you only had it for two months, it should be in warranty, contact Seagate support and get it replaced. In the future, keep two copies of files, one would be the backup. It takes a second to copy a file and it prevents a lot of issues when drives fail.
Jan 31, 2019

I downloaded that application earlier on to give it a try, and attempted to use the fast test and long repair to fix the drive, but it returned with a failure response. Is there anything with that tool that I should be using instead? Not sure if I was using the wrong options.

isaiahtboy360

Prominent
Oct 12, 2017

Before you toss it out the window, why dont you try using some software to recover the files and folder
HDDRAW COPY is one
or
Stellar Phoenix Data recovery

Just an FYI, if you have your only copy of files on that drive, it is not a "backup". If you had a backup you would just replace the drive and copy the files to the other drive.

If you only had it for two months, it should be in warranty, contact Seagate support and get it replaced. In the future, keep two copies of files, one would be the backup. It takes a second to copy a file and it prevents a lot of issues when drives fail.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS