Tulika

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
My old case of external hard drive was damaged. I bought a new one but it did not get recognized in my computer and had no drive name. So I created a new partition and the drive was visible but I did not format the disk. I can't access the drive and it asks to format the disk. I want to have my old data back.did I do something wrong? Can I get my data back? Please help.I am desperate

Before you blindly try all manner of data recovery software, could you tell us a little about your external HDD? Was it a Western Digital product, such as a Passport or My Book? If so, then be aware that these may be hardware encrypted, even if you have not specified a password. Data recovery software will only find jibberish.

turk_1000

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
Try "Partion Find and Mount" http://findandmount.com. Use the free version. It is the fastest way to see what's on the drive. This might not work since you repartioned the drive. For future reference when this happens do not partition or format the drive. Be aware that full recovery software can take many hours to search a drive and you will need another drive to copy the files to.