External Hard Drive Default to Read-Only

EJ

Every once in a while, my external hard drive defaults to Read-Only. I used
to be able to turn off Read-Only one folder at a time, but this time it is
just resetting it to Read-Only. Why would it do this, and how can I stop it?

I'm using a Western Digital 200 GB Internal Hard Drive in an external
enclosure, hooked up via USB 2.0.

One workaround might be to take ownership for all users. It would not change the read only status, but would allow read/write access
for all.
HOW TO Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q308421
--

Mark L. Ferguson
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"EJ" <EJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DD89CC8B-02F9-460B-8BD0-3C90B5A505E8@microsoft.com...
> Every once in a while, my external hard drive defaults to Read-Only. I used
> to be able to turn off Read-Only one folder at a time, but this time it is
> just resetting it to Read-Only. Why would it do this, and how can I stop it?
>
> I'm using a Western Digital 200 GB Internal Hard Drive in an external
> enclosure, hooked up via USB 2.0.

I have never installed a hard drive in a case but I have, and use, 3
external USB 2.0 hard drives from major manufacturers. I have never
experienced the problem you describe. What I save a file at - it stays at!

The big difference, of course, is that my hard drive and its enclosure (and
associated electronics) were assembled and tested as a unit by the
manufacturer and found to be compatible. Guess yours aren't!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"EJ" <EJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Every once in a while, my external hard drive defaults to Read-Only. I
> used
> to be able to turn off Read-Only one folder at a time, but this time it is
> just resetting it to Read-Only. Why would it do this, and how can I stop
> it?
>
> I'm using a Western Digital 200 GB Internal Hard Drive in an external
> enclosure, hooked up via USB 2.0.

EJ

Well, the problem is that (though it is always on) Windows only SOMETIMES
doesn't want to write to it. So, for instance, I'll be burning a DVD or
Playing a Video Game and it will suddenly give me a write error.

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> One workaround might be to take ownership for all users. It would not change the read only status, but would allow read/write access
> for all.
> HOW TO Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q308421
> --
>
> Mark L. Ferguson
> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
> ..
> "EJ" <EJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DD89CC8B-02F9-460B-8BD0-3C90B5A505E8@microsoft.com...
> > Every once in a while, my external hard drive defaults to Read-Only. I used
> > to be able to turn off Read-Only one folder at a time, but this time it is
> > just resetting it to Read-Only. Why would it do this, and how can I stop it?
> >
> > I'm using a Western Digital 200 GB Internal Hard Drive in an external
> > enclosure, hooked up via USB 2.0.

Jim

Useless Post

>I have never installed a hard drive in a case but I have, and use, 3
>external USB 2.0 hard drives from major manufacturers. I have never
>experienced the problem you describe. What I save a file at - it stays at!
>
> The big difference, of course, is that my hard drive and its enclosure
> (and associated electronics) were assembled and tested as a unit by the
> manufacturer and found to be compatible. Guess yours aren't!
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

> "EJ" <EJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Every once in a while, my external hard drive defaults to Read-Only. I
>> used
>> to be able to turn off Read-Only one folder at a time, but this time it
>> is
>> just resetting it to Read-Only. Why would it do this, and how can I stop
>> it?
>>
>> I'm using a Western Digital 200 GB Internal Hard Drive in an external
>> enclosure, hooked up via USB 2.0.

As Richard Urban mentioned, not all hardware is guaranteed to work with XP. I would try to find a better driver for USB 2, and/or
the DVD.

--

"EJ" <EJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A09EFD7B-A45D-4AE8-892E-D68074202772@microsoft.com...
> Well, the problem is that (though it is always on) Windows only SOMETIMES
> doesn't want to write to it. So, for instance, I'll be burning a DVD or
> Playing a Video Game and it will suddenly give me a write error.
>

> "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
>
>> One workaround might be to take ownership for all users. It would not change the read only status, but would allow read/write
>> access
>> for all.
>> HOW TO Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q308421
>> --
>>
>> Mark L. Ferguson
>> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
>> marfers notes for windows xp http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
>> ..
>> "EJ" <EJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DD89CC8B-02F9-460B-8BD0-3C90B5A505E8@microsoft.com...
>> > Every once in a while, my external hard drive defaults to Read-Only. I used
>> > to be able to turn off Read-Only one folder at a time, but this time it is
>> > just resetting it to Read-Only. Why would it do this, and how can I stop it?
>> >
>> > I'm using a Western Digital 200 GB Internal Hard Drive in an external
>> > enclosure, hooked up via USB 2.0.

You think that pointing out a compatibility condition is useless. Many
people place the same problematical drive in another manufacturers external
case and the drive works fine!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban