External Hard Drive Detected But Not Readable - What to Do?

dekw04

Commendable
Oct 6, 2017
I have an external hard drive that's not working properly.

I want to make the external hard drive readable and get the files on it off of it in whatever way possible.

The external hard drive shows up as "ASMT 1053", but it doesn't have a drive letter associated with it like my other external hard drives do.

It shows up in Device Manager as "USB Mass Storage" device and it says that the drivers are up to date.
I've tried updating the driver and I've also tried uninstalling it, but I still can't access the information on this external hard drive.

In Disk Management, it says the external hard drive is "Unknown" and "Not Initialized". It says "You must initialize a disk before Logical Disk Manager can access it".

If I format the drive, it may make the drive readable, however I'm worried I would lose the ability to recover data on the drive even if I used recovery software.

The external hard drive is a 3000 gigabyte drive but it says "3.86 GB" in Disk Management. It had significantly more than 3.86 gigabytes saved to it though.

I've tried the data recovery softwares by EaseUS and Mini Tool Power Data Recovery. Both softwares were able to scan the external drive, but each found 0 bytes. That shouldn't be the case though.

Since the drive is detected I believe there might be a solution somewhere to recover the data on it so I thought I should ask the people on here.

How can I make this external hard drive readable and/or get the data off of it?

Thank you.

I'd prefer screenshot, where initialize disk dialog doesn't obstruct everything. But fine ...

With external enclosures problem may be in enclosure electronics or the drive itself.
You should try removing the drive from enclosure and donnecting it directly to pc with sata data/sata power cables.
Then check, how it is displayed in Disk Management.