[SOLVED] External hard drive does not work on any motherboard USB, only on the front of the case.

Jun 1, 2021
I was using the computer normally, when the sound of unplugging some USB came. It was the external hard drive that I always used plugged into the motherboard that suddenly stopped. I restarted the pc to see if it came back, and continued the same thing. I tested other USB on the motherboard, and nothing. So I plugged it into one of the case's USBs, and the hard drive worked. What would be the problem? When connected to any USB on the motherboard, the LED on the external hard drive is blinking madly. Can someone help me? I asked in various forums about hardware and just got ignored. Thanks.
My pc: Motherboard Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2
Gigabyte GTX 1650 super
1x ram HyperX 8gb ddr3 1866mhz
SSD Adata SU630 240gb
AMD FX 8300

Sony external hard drive hd-e1

Solution
It could be that the front USB port is limited to USB 2.0 whereas the motherboard ports support 3.0.

If one of the drive's USB 3.0 signal wires goes open circuit, then it won't work on a USB 3.0 port but will work on a USB 2.0 port.

There was a recent thread where someone used a USB 2.0 extension cable to test this hypothesis. It was also suggested in that thread that the connector may not be making good contact in the 3.0 ports, in which case an extension cable might also confirm this.
It could be that the front USB port is limited to USB 2.0 whereas the motherboard ports support 3.0.

If one of the drive's USB 3.0 signal wires goes open circuit, then it won't work on a USB 3.0 port but will work on a USB 2.0 port.

There was a recent thread where someone used a USB 2.0 extension cable to test this hypothesis. It was also suggested in that thread that the connector may not be making good contact in the 3.0 ports, in which case an extension cable might also confirm this.

Solution

Nice Nicer

Commendable
May 24, 2021
might be a power issue . those USB Ports do look similar but it is a bit like with chargers for mobile phones. they all supply 5 volts but not necessarily the same amount of Ampere.