External hard drive fell and attaching SATA cables didn't help

Sinnamin

Commendable
May 31, 2016
My speaker wire got loose so I moved my case a bit where I had a Seagate external HD resting on top of the case. As I was reaching for the speaker wire, I accidently hit the EHD usb cable which caused the EHD to fall.

Afterwards, it wasn't recognized by the computer and I tried it on my laptop too just in case.
I opened it up and tried to put it into the computer since I had an extra 3.5 sata cable (power+data) and the bios didn't recognize that the HD was there.

I'm wondering now:
1. Is there anyway I can make it work? Should I get new wires or a new enclosure? Is there something I'm missing?
2. If there's no option to use it again, is there a way to salvage the data because I had nearly 1.5TB full of various things (some personal stuff, game saves, etc.)

Solution

If no PC will recognize it and thus, you can't use any software solutions, your last option is to send it out to a data recovery firm. If you go this route, be prepared for a large expense.

The only dependable way to salvage data from a destroyed hard drive is to restore the data from the backups, the making of which is a very basic part of responsible PC management.

Sinnamin

Commendable
May 31, 2016

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say.

I already tried putting it into my computer with the sata cables

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

If no PC will recognize it and thus, you can't use any software solutions, your last option is to send it out to a data recovery firm. If you go this route, be prepared for a large expense.

The only dependable way to salvage data from a destroyed hard drive is to restore the data from the backups, the making of which is a very basic part of responsible PC management.

Solution