External Hard Drive & HDTV Streaming Issues, Consistently Disconnects

Mastermmm

Reputable
Oct 12, 2014
I have movies on my external hard drive in which I stream to my Samsung HDTV. They display fine for about 30 minutes or so, then the files cannot be found (according to the HDTV). I am also having a similar issue when transferring files from one external hard drive to another, therefore I believe it may be a setting on my hard drive causing this disconnect issue.

Any suggestions?

Hey there, Mastermmm.

It's quite possible for the drive to be causing this if it has problems. Right now, the first order of business should be - backing up your data, so go ahead and do that.
After that I'd suggest that you try the HDD with a different USB cable (preferably shorter than 12") and a different computer/device, to see if the same thing happens. If the issue persists, I'd suggest that you download the HDD manufacturer's diagnostics tool and run the tests on the drive, to see if anything alarming pops-up.

Please let me know how everything goes.
Boogieman_WD

Mastermmm

Reputable
Oct 12, 2014

No, I can almost guarantee it is not a drive issue. It has happened with several of my drives. I have tried with different cables but still the same problem persists. I will try and download the 'diagnostic tool' as you have mentioned, thanks!