[SOLVED] External Hard Drive Issue

Oct 9, 2018
Hi,

I'm on holiday at the moment with limited PC access, but am having an unfortunate issue with my external drive that it being used to save photos and videos from the trip. If I attach the drive to a PC it tells me it is unreadable and a recovery attempt fails. The drive shows on the PC as being attached, but I cant access it. Well, I can't access the root directory. However, if i type in the name of a directory that i know exists (for example, E:\Holiday) I go straight into that folder and can view the files (and interact with them). However I can't navigate the other folders from there unless I type in the name of a folder I know. Is there a simple way to fix this? Obviously I don't need to recover files as such, just make it possible to navigate the drive as normal.

Many thanks for any advice given.

Solution
Sounds like you should replace this drive once you can get to all the folders and copy the files out.
Pretty much any attempted fix needs some decent computer and device assess. Make a Linux boot disk, boot the system off that and see if you can get to the files. Once you do that, if it works properly, copy the files out to another disk. You don't want your pictures on one portable drive without backups, especially one that is getting errors.
Sounds like you should replace this drive once you can get to all the folders and copy the files out.
Pretty much any attempted fix needs some decent computer and device assess. Make a Linux boot disk, boot the system off that and see if you can get to the files. Once you do that, if it works properly, copy the files out to another disk. You don't want your pictures on one portable drive without backups, especially one that is getting errors.

Solution