[SOLVED] External Hard Drive Issue

Nov 10, 2019
So I've been trying to figure this issue out since I bought it 2 weeks ago on Newegg.
I purchased a USB 3.0 (2.0 compatible) 2TB Toshiba portable hard drive. On my Win7 machine using either of my USB 2.0 ports the device shows a white light and works for 5-20 seconds, disconnects, reconnects and works for a minute, then repeats these steps over and over again. These ports though have always been a little quirky with devices I've attached.
Here comes the biggest issue: I cannot access the drive on any 3.0 port on any machine, with any usb cable, on win7,8, or 10. The blue light(for 3.0) comes on, but doesn't show up on the pc or even in the device manager. One of the computers I tried it on is a brand new updated surface, so updates/drivers shouldn't be the issue. The parts # is HDTC920XW2AA, which I couldn't even find on the manufacturers website.
Any suggestions on how to get the device to work in 3.0 ports would be awesome, I am at a loss.

Thanks!

Solution
If that happens to be a Toshiba Canvio I would return it.
The QC appears to be very low, since the USB cable is not making proper contact or it requires more power than the USB port can provide.
It might work if you use a Y USB cable.

WD and Seagate do not have that type of issues.
The QC appears to be very low, since the USB cable is not making proper contact or it requires more power than the USB port can provide.

Solution
Nov 10, 2019

I'll grab a y cable tonight and see how it goes, looks like their RMA service is not the best either. Thanks for the reply.