External Hard Drive Issue

tler126

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
Hello, I recently put together an external hard drive enclosure and 3.5 inch hard drive. The parts I used are as follows: Rosewill RX-358 and Western Digital Caviar Green WD15EADS 1.5TB. I know I put them together correctly. I need to format the hard drive. However the issue I am having is getting any computer to recognize the hard drive as workable. I have already tried the typical "right click My Computer, > Click on Manage, > Click on Disk Management, Etc, Etc." The hard drive doesn't show up in Disk Management at all. I checked the status of the USB port it is plugged into in device manager and found, "This device cannot start. (Code 10)." So now, I'm stumped haha. I don't have a sata hard drive desktop computer. So I can't hook in the hard drive to format it. I'll have to do it via USB port. I am running Windows XP. Thank you for your insight on to this issue!

tler126

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
Update: I managed to get it to work, once. I formatted it in NTFS and it worked, my computer finally recognized it. When I started my desktop this morning, loe and behold, the external hard drive is not accessible. I checked Device Manager and found "This device cannot start. (Code 10)." What is going on?

chippy141

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
I am experiencing an identical problem.

Enclosure: Rosewill RX-358
Drive: Western Digital - WD15EADS - 1.5TB Caviar Green

In Windows Vista I received the error: This device cannot start. (Code 10)
In Ubuntu Linux I received the following: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd (repeating)

The 1.5TB drive worked fine when I tried a different enclosure. Likewise, the Rosewill enclosure worked fine when I used it with a smaller 750GB Western Digital Caviar Green drive.

andy2004

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Simple answer is this, according to some simple google searches on the rosewill RX-358 and looking at the specs, you'll notice i highlighted in bold the maximum harddrive size that this enclosure supports as it clearly states 750gb, 1.5tb would be too big for the enclosure.:

» Universal fitting for 3.5" SATA I / II HDD
» Complies with the USB 2.0 and eSATA Combo interface
» Power On/Off for internal cooling fan
» USB Supports Win 2000/ME/XP/VISTA, and Mac OS 9.x/10.x and above, Linux kernel after 2.4.1.0
» Power Adapter, 100-240 VAC(47Hz~63Hz), 12V/2A output
» Full Aluminum Cover, metal tray
» Dimension: (LxWxH) 193x125x45mm

Specifications:

» Model: RX-358-S-SLV
» Interface: eSATA+USB2.0
» USB specification: USB2.0 backward compatible with USB1.1
» SATA specification: SATAI/ SATAII max 3.0Gbps data transfer rate
» Plug and Play: Yes
» Vertical Stand: Black Plastic Stand
» Material: Aluminum with front and back ABS panel
» HDD Support: 3.5" SATA I / II
» HDD Space: Support up to 750GB
» System Support: Windows ME/ 2000 /XP/VISTA, Macintosh OS 9.X or higher, Linux 2.4.1.0 or above
» CE/FCC CE/FCC: Approved
» RoHS compliancy: RoHS Approved

G

Forget about andy2004's post. In the box of RX358-S it says supports upto 1.5 TB. You guys also can read the Newegg custumer reviews, there is a guy complaining about why WD 1.5TB WD 15EADS does not work with this enclosure under this enclosure reviews. Many guys complaining about why WD 1.5TB WD 15EADS does not work with another HD dock came free with the HD and with other exclosures under the HD's reviews. And you guys can read how beautifily this enclosure works with 1.5TB samsung HD under the the Samsung 1.5TB HD's reviews. Obviously there is something wrong with this WD drive. I have same problem as you guys have, it worked only twice through USB, I have no problem using 1TB Hitachi drive with this enclosure and about to exchange this HD with anything but WD.

aabrahkadabrah

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Having the exact problem with this drive and an EZ-Dock 2. It works fine with other drives, when I put in the 2 drives I bought for this (WD15EADS) I get the same error. Anyone find a fix? Firmware update by chance?

mazomv

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I suggest going to Disk Management (e.g. right-click Computer > Manage) and checking for device conflicts. Even with Win 7, you may have multiple devices trying to, for example, share the same drive letter (e.g. D:, F:). Try removing any unattached USB flash drives, and try assigning an alternate drive letter to your external drive.

curt31

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
I'm having problems with my Rosewill external Hard Drive Dock recognizing my WD Black 750 hard drive anyone know if there are any known compatibility issues with this combination. Thanks

Tom j.