External hard drive issue

tomjones1990

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
Hi there,
i have quite a big problem.

i recently had to borrow my 1Tb Seagate external to a friend. i have pc and he has mac.
he formatted it on his mac to what it needed to be, and i was under the impression that i could just format it back when it was returned.
however i got the drive back from him last night and it isnt showing in my computer.
so ive gone into computer management and its there but no volume name. if i right click the drive the only option i have is to "delete volume".

i have a feeling it might be the data files on the hard drive were wiped when he formatted it?

any help would be very appreciated

Tom

Take it back to your friend to offload any data you want to keep. Then delete the volume and reformat it.

Then transfer the data back from the Mac on thumb drives. That should work.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008

If your friend formatted the harddrive, then yes, any files you had on it before you loaned it out are gone, hopefully you didn't need them.

If your only problem is that Windows can't recognize the drive (you don't care about any data that is/was on there), just follow jsc's advice: delete the volume, then create a new volume and reformat the drive.

Latest posts