External Hard Drive Issues

Rohit Jackdaw

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
I have a 3 month old WD My Passport Ultra 2 TB external hard drive. The problems are when I plug my external hdd to my pc and other laptops I get half speeds and ISO and other compressed files aee mostly corrupted but whn plugged it into my Lenovo G500 laptop then I get double speed on USB 3.0 and also 2.0 and also no corruption occurs. The corruption occurs in other devices only sometimes. I tried formatting and SMART. What would be the cause ? All my devices are running Windows 8 and corruption does not occur to movies and other stuff. Should I RMA it ? Kindly help me.

Hjgrove

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
Basically, whenever you want to read or write to the disk it must spin the disk up to a very high speed before the platters can read and right, think of a fan, it must spin up to a high speed before it blows air.
So if the disk is spinning at a low speed its limited to its read and write.

Rohit Jackdaw

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014

But even then it runs pretty fast on my laptop as mentioned earlier and the corruption occures only to iso or other compressed files probably images.

Rohit Jackdaw

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014

That didn't occured when installing from mobo disc at the beginning. Why and what to do now ?

Rohit Jackdaw

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014

Completely fine. Running games like cod and thief.etc Only problem was when installing the driver. Now perfect. But I am worried about the new replacement hard drive which comes within a 10 days.