External hard drive issues

ottoatom

Honorable
Oct 2, 2016
Hello everyone,

I have an issue with an external hard drive that is driving me nuts. The hard drive is a 2tb 5400rpm external harddrive usb 3.0. Back home the HDD worked fine and I copied everything I need and the current computer is not opening my HDD.

The computer I am trying to access the HDD drive is an intel i5 with 4gb ram running windows 10 (updated from a windows 7 installation), only has USB 2.0 ports but detects other USB 3.0 ext HDD. Windows is french version so I will try to translate the terms as best as I can.

The following is what happens when I plug the disk on to the pc:
- Windows "ding dong" sound, something has been detected.
- No disk, no device, nothing.
- the only places I can find something are:
1- Device manager, storage control, "USB attached SCSI (UAS) mass storage device" under "Microsoft storage spaces control" has a warning sign next to it.
2- On peripherals and printers window, the disk is under "unspecified" and the name of the device says "expansion" which is the name of the seagate hard drive. opening the properties tab, win says the device is working, but it is not. The result is the same as on 1).

I have been googling around for the last two days without finding any solution tor this issue. I have tried the following without success:
- Changing the disk to another usb port - no change
- replacing the usb cable - no change
- trying my disk on another computer - works
- Trying other usb 2.0 and 3.0 disks on this computer - all of them are detected and working
- update the "USB attached SCSI (UAS) mass storage device" - No change
- Uninstall "USB attached SCSI (UAS) mass storage device" and restart - Windows installs automatically the same driver - No change
- Point to other driver "Microsoft storage spaces control" - The warning sign disappears, win says the usb device is working, under the "remove hardware safely" on the right side of the task bar, the item appears. If I click to eject it windows says " the device "Microsoft storage spaces control"
cant be stopped as it is using a driver that does not recognize plug and play. As the device is under use, do not remove it". - No change.
- Remove the fast startup from power options as advised on one forum, do the above steps again - No change.
- Disk is not found on the drive manager so no point in assigning a partition drive letter etc..

I might have forgotten something here but basically that's what I've tried so far. Have I missed some other way of trying to solve the pb? Sorry for the long email but I am trying to be as descriptive as possible so I dont waste anybody's time with suggestions I have already tried..

Hope someone can help,
Cheers!!

is the drive powered thought he usb port or though a wall plug.

the usb ports on that computer might not have enough power to power the drive up (spinning drives can need a few amps to start spinning up). usb 3 max current spec a device can use is a lot more then older revisions of usb standard.

only solution to this would be to buy a usb 3.0 hub that plugs into an outlet that can provide the power required for the hard drive to work.

ottoatom

Honorable
Oct 2, 2016

The drive spins allright and the tally light lights up in the beginning but turns itself off after a minute or two. I think that the usb port has enough power for the drive, other USB 3.0 HDDs have been plugged into the same usb port and work normally.

Im not sure I want to plug my HDD to a powered hub.. is that really safe? I might be ignorant but I though it was just to charge cell phones etc..