External Hard Drive Issues

Shmecklesberainin

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
I was copying files to my Seagate 2 TB external drive, when it just disconnected!

Now it won't connect at all. The light isn't blinking, but I can hear and feel the disk inside running.

It is detected by BIOS, but on Disk Management it says "Unallocated" even though I still have data on it.

What do I do?

Shmecklesberainin

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
It's a portable Hard Drive. I have very important data on there. I'm thinking about bringing it to a place in Utah called PC Laptops to see if I can get the data recovered.

Any other tips?

DR_Luke

Honorable
Dec 1, 2016
If your data is valuable, I don't suggest you take your drive to just any computer technician. You don't need a kid out of high school on minimum wage messing around and making things worse. Rather, you should look for a reputable data recovery lab. Labs that I find trustworthy and affordable are:

Recovery Force
Data Medics
Data Savers
PC Image
Data Busters
Mind Merge

Call around to find a lab that you feel comfortable with.

DR_Luke

Honorable
Dec 1, 2016
You can try to connect to the drive directly by removing it from the enclosure and see how it behaves when connected directly to your system. You can also attempt to clone the drive with ddrescue (Guide to ddrescue), but take note that if the drive is failing, everything you do could make things worse.