External Hard Drive issues

Batmann77

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
*Updated and edited for clarity.

I've noticed lately that when playing videos from my external hard drive (Seagate Expansion - SRD00F2 2TB) will disconnect and in the event viewer I will see many, many of these errors:

Event ID 140: The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur in VolumeId: H:, DeviceName: \Device\HarddiskVolume13.
(A device which does not exist was specified.)

and

Event ID 51: An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk3\DR11 during a paging operation.

After a few days of this happening, I could no longer see anything on the hard drive, though its properties said there was still data in there. The drive type had also been changed to RAW. I did not do this myself. I tried using data recovery software to recover the data to no avail. I restarted my computer after uninstalling this software and somehow my hard drive was completely restored. All my data was back, and the drive functioned properly...

Until today. Only a day later and I'm getting those same messages and disconnects again. I've backed up all my data to other drives, and I have ordered a new one, but I must know what caused these errors to occur in the first place. If it is definitely related to that one hard drive itself, then I guess that's okay, but if it's not hard drive specific - perhaps something to do with my computer, then I need to find out and fix it.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards, Jimmy.

Batmann77

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013

I had figured as much, but I'm looking specifically into what those error messages actually mean and why they occurred in the first place. Also, I was watching videos, not playing games from the hard drive.

lperreault21

Notable
Sep 8, 2017

I do not know exactly what it means but i sounds like the HDD can not find certain files and some of the files are getting corrupted.

Is it with everything, or only a few things?

External hard drives can be particularly troublesome after a while, often it's the SATA-to-USB bridge attached to the drive's interface which causes the problem - - not the HDD itself. It's a Seagate external too, notorious for causing endless frustration in my experience, I had three of them & they all failed after 18 months.

I now use only WD externals, all three still going strong after 7 years use.

Batmann77

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013

I am not sure if it's with everything or just videos. I've only received that error while watching videos, but I haven't looked in the event viewer to see if they show up simply while I have the drive open.

Batmann77

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013

Do you mean the part inside the HD itself or the cable that goes from SATA to USB? Ironically, I did buy a WD external...here's to hoping they last as long as yours!