External hard drive makes windows not responding, cannot be accessed at all

DanteRH

Prominent
May 15, 2017
I've been using my seagate external hard drive for a while and it's been working fine. It usually appears as "Seagate Expansion" on windows explorer but now it only appears as "Local Disk H:" and when I try to click on it (left/right) it will make windows not responding, I also cannot open disk management while it is plugged in, it just won't load. I also have tried the cmd to chkdsk and diskpart but both won't work. I tried using third party app like Recuva but it also cannot access the drive. I also have tried on a different PC but it doesn't work either. Please help.

It's okay if I have to lose all my data if it's inevitable, I just want to be able to use the drive again.

Devildjinn

Honorable
Jun 4, 2015
When you plug it in for the first time, put your ear to it and listen.
If you hear nothing, then it dead.
If you hear it spin up without and obvious loud clicking sounds, it might just be a driver error.
If you hear it click in 1 sec intervals at least 5-8 times, the head on it has failed, this can be repaired at a shop if it does this.
Hope this helps.

Good advice from Devildjin, except for if it makes clicking noises the head on it has failed, "this can be repaired at a shop", that is definitely not possible to repair in a shop.

If it is still under warranty, the manufacturer should exchange it for a replacement drive. If warranty has expired then it's a scrapper.

If you replace the drive yourself, I'd advise you to avoid buying another Seagate, get a WD one instead, in my experience they are more reliable.

DanteRH

Prominent
May 15, 2017

Thanks for the answers, when I plugged it in I can hear the clicking noise. Any idea how did this happen? Is it because I installed too many games in it? Or is it because some of the games were pirated and may have contained virus/malware?

TRENDING THREADS