Question External Hard drive not detected.

Aug 9, 2019
Earlier I was on a Windows10 system but then I switched to Zorin. Before switching l copied all of my data onto an external hard drive as my windows was crashing repeatedly. Now after installation of Zorin OS is complete l wish to retrieve all my data from the Hard disk. But the OS is not reading my hard drive. Although it shows that l have connected to an external hard drive but when l go to drive and upon docking the usb cable to my laptop it gives a notification sound but nothing happens after that.

I don't know how Zorin desktop works, but on mainstream Linux distros (Ubuntu, Mint), their file manager applications take care of automatically mounting the drivers when selected.

Open a shell, and execute "fdisk -l" as root. See whether your external drive is listed, them execute as root "mount /dev/<your data partition> /mnt"

Reactions: cat1092

cat1092

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
If by chance the answer provided by Alabalcho doesn't work, it may be possible the repeated crashes you mentioned may have damaged the drive. Or is failing on it's own, with newer retail packaged enclosures, one must insert the cable easily on the end where the external is, preferably not removing unless necessary. The old school externals were a lot easier to work with, usually any failure would be the enclosure solder joint or switch & could be placed in another, or used in a PC or docking station.

The main thing I can advise is to try and connect it to a Windows computer. If you don't have one, then either invite someone and have them bring their computer to test. You should also either run either HD Tune to check for bad blocks & don't check the fast option, or the option may be there with some brands of partitioning software.

Also, if you have access to a HDD docking station or enclosure, you can pull the drive out & test in one of these. Or if you have an extra Windows PC & there's a place to install an extra HDD to test, would be the perfect solution, even if SATA 2 or 1. While either of the latter would be slower than SATA-3 (USB 3.0 is also), having the drive inside a PC would be the best place to test & if needed, possible restore lost files if this is the case. The reason why I say this is because tests can be performed that can't be via USB devices.

The only exception to the above (removal from enclosure) is if it's the newer type, most of these cannot be removed & ran from any other source, as there's no traditional SATA interface. In this case, then you'll have no other option than to try rescue or repair using a Windows computer (using the above mentioned software choices). That is, unless you're well versed in your Linux skills, while I've been running Linux Mint since 2009 & can perform what's needed, am not an advanced user.

Good Luck! :)

Cat

Reactions: Rishabh_Raj

cat1092

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Via what method did you do in the 'copying of all your data' to external drive in question? (Naturally, many clone methods produce unbrowsable images)....

Yes sometimes that happens, especially if there's an issue with the drive being cloned.

If you were asking me, I was referring to rescuing what data you can to another drive, not perform a 1:1 copy of it in it's entirety. That may indeed prove to be bad, although with a healthy drive, should pose no issue.

The thing for now I can suggest is to connect to a working Windows computer & if the drive shows up, click onto the partition to see if it can be repaired. Sometimes, as long as it's working, can be fixed, but not with a PC that has been crashing, that would do more harm than good & may be the reason why it's messed up now.

You can also try swapping cables, if USB 3.0, some retail packaged drives has a very slim connector going into the drive, I avoid these like the plague. Yet in your case, if a repair won't work, there's no harm in trying the cable first, if removable.

One other thing, it's never good to copy files onto an external when the system is crashing, writing to DVD's would had been safer for the external. If Zorin is running OK on the same computer now, it was likely a driver causing the crashes & a repair install of Windows 10, or running sfc scannow in cmd as Administrator, along with 'DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth' first, either of these may had fixed your issue.

The reason why I say this is when the system crashes, whatever data being written is flushed upon the reboot, regardless the reason of crashing. So it's entirely possible that you may not have successfully saved all of your data. Meaning it would had been best to check the contents of the external before reformatting the drive for a Zorin OS install.

Plus making it a habit of not saving important files on the system drive, anything of importance goes to my Google Driver folder, and gets backed up to their cloud storage. Any reboot would restart the process, ensuring your data was synced.

We could had better advised you before the Zorin OS install as to what actions to take, as there are tools, free of charge, to collect & ID system dumps for what was wrong with the W10 install. Now your options are more limited & the best you can hope for is #1, the external is OK by verifying on a known working Windows 10 (or 7/8.1) computer with a USB 3.0 port and #2, the data made it to the drive before any crashes took place.

If you can access the drive, you can copy (not clone) the data to another drive, DVD's, or whatever you have.

If not, first check the cable & being you're running Zorin OS now, I suggest you follow the advice of Alabalcho, as I'm not an expert at Linux recovery tools. My specialty is being prepared at all times for disaster before it strikes. Plus hardware, that's my cup of tea. While I can build a computer the way I or someone else wants to include installing the OS, security & software, am not advanced with recovery techniques other than the basics.

In closing, I suggest you backup frequently & keep important data off the system drive as generated. There's Dropbox for Linux, which gives you at least 2GB of cloud space at no charge, plus a service that works with GMail to sync up to 17GB of data (2GB for pics, 15GB for the rest) Or 100GB for $1.99/month. Your OS can be replaced as easily as loading the OS & installing, your data is priceless, otherwise you'd not be asking for assistance. As you now should see, it's not too late to start backing up your data, beginning today.

Good Luck!:)

Cat