External Hard drive not initialized all of the sudden

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thelolster32

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017
So I have a Seagate 2 TB USB 3.0 external that was of my cousin's. I was copying some movies when my computer crashed while the process was still ongoing. After that my cousin's drive was now not readable and only sometimes seen as not initialized in the disc management.

Please help some files here are important to my cousin.

thelolster32

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017

It's showing this now nearly 8 hrs in progress. I believe this is because I placed a usb 3.0 drive to a Usb 2.0 port which is pretty slow.

gG1KI7h.png

thelolster32

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017
Should I now initialize and try to recover the files after initializing? I'm in a desperate attempt trying to recover these files.

UPDATE: 10hrs has already passed and it's nearly night.

thelolster32

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017
The device was detected but still not shown in file explorer. After removing and putting the hard drive back in the enclosure, the device was named and it showed the device name which was not shown before I removed the drive from it's enclosure.

thelolster32

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017

Nope, my pc crashed, I'm going to try again.

It's some progress at least.
Clean it with diskpart. Then see if disk capacity changes to normal.
Execute this from elevated command prompt:
  • diskpart
    list disk
    select disk x ( x- number of appropriate disk, should be 2)
    clean
    exit
Make sure you select the right disk. Clean command is data destructive.
Clean command removes drive partition data and drive signature. Files are still recoverable.

After that you can use GetDataBack to recover your files.
https://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

thelolster32

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017

can it recover most of the data? Like, is there no paywall within you and the files.

thelolster32

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017

Where is it here:
vNNwmKb.jpg

thelolster32

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017

I did the command you said but it is still unallocated and not initialized. Should I initialize then use the recovery software.

thelolster32

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017

It says failed because of an I/O error. Should I change the data cable that the hard drive uses?

thelolster32

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017

It's does not show the capacity no more. What should I do now? And how did it show capacity after days of not showing it anyways.