External hard drive not showing correct gig capacity

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cbsm1

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Hello,
I have a hard drive from a dead computer that I put into an external case to use as a backup drive. It is a seagate 500g drive, but when connected, it only shows 13.6g capacity. How can I get this external to show full capacity so I can use it as my backup: ps I am not a computer guru so laymans terms please....

Solution
I am not going to try it on my external drive, but I looked up the tools that in windows 7, and here is what I think you need to do. The (maybe) bad news is that you will lose all data on the drive. The good news is that even if something goes wrong, we can just try a different route without hurting anything.

OK. So the easiest way to get to the tool you need is to go to the start menu and, in the search bar at the bottom, type in 'disk management'. The first thing which comes up should be a utility which is called "create and format hard disk partitions". Click on this, and it should bring up a window which says "loading disk configuration information". When it is done gathering this information, it will show a display with all...

austin_louis

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013

Hello There,
I was having similar problem with my seagate 1TB external hard drive as well. I formatted it earlier and was showing only 39.5 GB total space. So, tried to follow the instructions you mentioned on the top. However, after performing "delete volume", it removed the drive from "section 1" (as you have showed while answering another question). Now, I am not sure where to click as you have said, " Once you have deleted all partitions, right click on the empty space created and tell it to do a format" . I have tried to click in the same place where the drive was before, but nothing happens. Can you please advise me further? Thank you

austin_louis

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013

Hello There,
I was having similar problem with my seagate 1TB external hard drive as well. I formatted it earlier and was showing only 39.5 GB total space. So, tried to follow the instructions you mentioned on the top. However, after performing "delete volume", it removed the drive from "section 1" (as you have showed while answering another question). Now, I am not sure where to click as you have said, " Once you have deleted all partitions, right click on the empty space created and tell it to do a format" . I have tried to click in the same place where the drive was before, but nothing happens. Can you please advise me further? Thank you

kmm4465

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015
I am having the same problem. I too am using Windows 7. My external drive should be 500 gb but it's only using 32.

trolleytom

Reputable
Jul 3, 2015

I'd like to say thanks as well. 4 and a half years after this post I had the same problem, and the solution is still working brilliantly.

Lexie5252

Reputable
Jan 30, 2016
hi there
im having a similar problem I have a 1TB hard drive and I had to back up my windows on it but once I had finished with it I formatted the disk and went to use it again only its only showing as a 39.9GB disk now

any idea on how I can get it back to normal please be aware im not that great on laptops so as much detail as possible is needed if possible

thank you