External Hard drive not working correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.

lachie

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013
Heres the problem,

For some reason my external hard drive (western digital 'my passport for mac' 500gb (NFTS) that has always worked, is suddenly not working. I noticed something was wrong when I log into my computer and the hard drive path shows up, but it has the name 'local' disk instead of the name I gave it external. Whenever I try to open the harddrive, explorer takes a while and finally gives an error saying F:\ is not accessable the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

Now heres the issue. I'm currently running both windows and mac O.S on my macbook air using bootcamp on mac OSX. But for some reason the hard drive shows up perfectly fine on Mac OSX and I can access my files. Windows also prompts me to format my hard drive after attempting to right click on the hard drive which yet again, freezes explorer.

Also when viewing the hard drive on windows 7, no information is shown like the amount of space used.

THINGS IVE TRIED:

Rebooting explorer.exe
Rebooting computer
Reconnecting Hard drive
Using a different USB port

Please help, anything is appreciated, if I have to resort to reformatting, then so be it. I just dont
want to lose my files as I have many important ones that will take a long time to copy over.

*EDIT:

After doing Chkdsk F: /f in cmd, I can now freely right click and try to open the hard drive without explorer freezing. Left clicking brings an error saying this parameter is incorrect. And right clicking functions as per normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.