[SOLVED] External Hard drive problem

Feb 7, 2019
Dear To whom it may concern:

My laptop went bad. Wouldn't turn on. So I took the hard drive out of it. I bought a new Acer desktop and connected the laptop hard drive to the desktop through an enclosure as an external hard drive and then reformatted. I copied some video and audio files from another hard drive onto the laptop hard drive. When I play those video and audio files on the acer desktop, they play just fine. But when I stream those video or audio files through window media player to Roku or Samsung smart tv, my acer desktop crashed and it says "it needs to restart because "page fault in non-paged area, what failed: cng.sys." Now I know roku or samsung tv or the files themselves are not the problems because I copied some of those video files on to desktop ssd and streamed them onto roku. it plays fine and nothing happens to the Desktop. Laptop external hard drive seems to be the problem? How can I fix it? and again, when I play those laptop hard drive files on the computer, they play fine. It's only when I stream them, computer crashes!

Solution
When you stream from a external drive, file are copied to your computer temporarily, decoded and then streamed to the device.
Either your laptop or external hard drive might not be able to keep up and your computer freezes and crashes.
Test the external hard drive and see if it is working properly.
You could do that by opening the "Command Prompt" and typing chkdsk /f X and hitting Enter... (replace X by the letter of the external hard drive letter).
Test the speed of the external HDD with CrystalDiskMark

If the external HDD is fine, then try a USB 3.0 enclosure connected to a USB 3.0 port on your laptop.

What's you laptop model and specs?
When you stream from a external drive, file are copied to your computer temporarily, decoded and then streamed to the device.
Either your laptop or external hard drive might not be able to keep up and your computer freezes and crashes.
Test the external hard drive and see if it is working properly.
You could do that by opening the "Command Prompt" and typing chkdsk /f X and hitting Enter... (replace X by the letter of the external hard drive letter).
Test the speed of the external HDD with CrystalDiskMark

If the external HDD is fine, then try a USB 3.0 enclosure connected to a USB 3.0 port on your laptop.

What's you laptop model and specs?

Solution
Feb 7, 2019
Thanks for replying Jojesa. My laptop that went bad in which the hhd that I pulled out was:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01630371

The enclosure that I am using to connect the HDD to my Acer desktop is:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-3-0-SATA-2-5-Inch-Hard-Drive-External-Enclosure-HDD-Mobile-Disk-Box-Case/253812652921?epid=1338049734&hash=item3b1869bb79:g:TlYAAOSwI7Fb3BoR:rk:1:pf:0

The external HDD is already connected to 3.0 usb port.

My ACER desktop is:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-aspire-desktop-intel-core-i7-8gb-memory-512gb-solid-state-drive-black/6287943.p?skuId=6287943&ref=212&loc=1&&ref=212&loc=1&ds_rl=1266837&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6fiaoIKr4AIV0FqGCh1EjwA3EAQYAyABEgK16fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I did chkdsk. It says "windows has scanned the file system and found no problems"

TRENDING THREADS