Question External Hard Drive showing up as local disk E and not accessible

Aug 18, 2019
Hi, I have a 1TB external hard drive (out of warranty) that unfortunately got jostled during a move and I can't access it. When I connect it to my Windows 10 Dell XPS laptop, it shows up as Local Drive E and says "the parameter is incorrect." If I try to open the drive, windows spins and the explorer freezes. Chrome doesn't work either when the hard drive is connected, which is odd. If I run the chkdsk command in the command prompt, I can no longer type to assign a drive-- the command prompt becomes unresponsive as well. What's going on here?

popatim

Titan
The drive isn't responding to the commands. This usually is the result of the drives controller board responding but the heads not able to read. Usually the heads are damaged or stuck in place, or the platters are damaged or not spinning.
Can you feel it spin up when you attach it?
Do you here a few clicking noises too or does it constantly click. In the case of a Seagate it may click for 11 times and then spin down.

Aug 18, 2019
The drive spins but clicks constantly upon attachment. Is the drive toast? It's out of warranty and I have opened it up carefully to see if there's visible damage inside, but of course I'm not able to tell.